How to tell a mantis is done molting

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amaybe

Reaction score
How do I know if my mantis has completed molting! I didn't bet to see it happen, he literally doubled in size over night and has wings now. He was upside down when I found him hanging from a stick for a long time but I don't see the skin anywhere. I was thinking maybe the crickets in the cage ate it? He looks dried and fully formed but I never did this before so I am concerned he may have started moving too soon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I ordered the "keeping aliens," book. It is not gonna arrive for a few days yet.

Thank you....

Amy

How do I know if my mantis has completed molting! I didn't bet to see it happen, he literally doubled in size over night and has wings now. He was upside down when I found him hanging from a stick for a long time but I don't see the skin anywhere. I was thinking maybe the crickets in the cage ate it? He looks dried and fully formed but I never did this before so I am concerned he may have started moving too soon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I ordered the "keeping aliens," book. It is not gonna arrive for a few days yet.

Thank you....

Amy
Congratulations Amy! you now have an adult mantis (what species?)! Just leave him be and he will start eating in a few days. What have you been feeding him? It can be dangerous to put hungry crix in there while his skinn is still hardening (a cuppla days, tops) but flies are safe.

Smart move to buy Orin's Keeping Aliens. For any new members, you can get it from Peter's BugsinCyberspace site in the book section for a few bucks. Good investment.

They are usually bigger after a molt. :)

It is a good thing that the crickets didn't eat the mantis. A molting insect is vulnerable, and crickets can take advantage, if they get the chance.

Crickets are nasty little bugs! Having a bearded dragon and them being hhis staple diet other than salads and they will get every chance they can to get on a vunerable animal. When I first experienced it the crickets had biten of some of my lizards thigh! Gave him a nasty little infection. Lesson to be learned always ttake crickets out of the cage once the animal is done eating.

Crickets are nasty little bugs! Having a bearded dragon and them being hhis staple diet other than salads and they will get every chance they can to get on a vunerable animal. When I first experienced it the crickets had biten of some of my lizards thigh! Gave him a nasty little infection. Lesson to be learned always ttake crickets out of the cage once the animal is done eating.
I was at the Pet Supermarket yesterday, and they had a cute beardie in the small cricket's bin! I let someone know, and she said that he was having a buffet. She thought it was funny.

I responded with, "So are the crickets."

The poor thing had crickets on his face, and all over. :angry: I can only hope that he was there temporarily, just to have his enclosure cleaned. <_<

That's awful. What's really messed up is the fact that a pet store doesn't treat their animals right all the time. When you would think that they would be the best at their stuff...... Smh