Howdy!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just ordered my first mantis and cannot wait to start caring for it! I plan to go buy a jumbo plastic container of generic brand cheese puff balls and wash it extensively. Will this work as an enclosure for a Giant Asian mantis around L3? Wheres a good place to get a small sheet of screen/mesh for a good price that is also a viable option for an enclosure? I mashed up same nanners and tossed them in a cup outside just in case I need to start raisin some kid of fly. I plan to feed the critter with purely other pesky critters i find outside. Is this stupid or dangerous? I know the size of what I feed it but are there extensive risks due to other peoples homes being in close proximity? Should i worry about feeding my mantis with bugs my neighbor could have possibly used pesticides for? Thanks for hearin me out, this forum in fantastic and so informative!

In most cases, wild insects are the best choice. They tend to have a more rounded diet than cultured feeders and often carry addition nutrition in the pollen stuck to them. The only thing to avoid is wild crickets as they can pass parasites. Well, that and any poisonous insects like spiders and centipedes. Not worth the risk.

Hello. Welcome to the forum.

I try to feed my mantids wild insects whenever possible. I bought several yards of a cloth from Michaels. Michaels is a craft store. The cloth was white and the thread count was perfect so it was like a cheese cloth. You can see through it. It cost next to nothing. You can buy a roll of screen for screen doors at most hardware stores. Its a little more expensive but works great. The enclosure should be 3x length of mantis for the height. 2x the length for the width of the enclosure. Hope this helps.

When I fill my spray bottle with water, what kinds of water are a no-no? Tap water obviously sounds dumb but what if I boil it first? Does bottled water work? Or should i just be grabbin a gallon of distilled water? Thanks again!

Hi, nice of you to join. :) I would recommend bottles water (fresh water) or any water w/o added chlorine. Chlorine is a big no-no.

I used tap water for the longest time with no problems, however I did switch to distilled and prefer it as it will not leave spots all over my plastic enclosures so they look much nicer and clean-up is minimal.

Welcome, I am very new here as well.

Really enjoying my mantid's and the people on here are totes awesome and very helpful.

Good luck!

It might be slightly to big, you'll have fun raising it. Wild insects is a good choice but I feed both crickets and wild insects, but cluttered crix can go bad and be sick which could kill you mantis! Welcome!

Latest posts