humans eat 3 meals a day, what about mantids?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure the point of the question, but if you want them to grow quickly you'll keep them warm and well fed. They'll eat and eat...until they don't. Full mantises will often just hold their half-eaten prey, sometimes for days. Well fed females also lay oothecae more often.

I don't mind admitting that I have different tiers of care provided for mantises in different stages. Of primary importance are breeding pairs and fertilized females. Hatchlings need daily attention and feedings. Middle instar mantises are fed in accordance with my goals for them. Males may be slowed down, while females are kept warm and fed often. I especially like the house fly feeding stages because it is convenient. Fruit flies and crickets or roaches take more work so I typically try to minimize the time I put into feeding mantises that need these by offering a larger or more feeders (=less frequent feedings required).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure the point of the question, but if you want them to grow quickly you'll keep them warm and well fed. They'll eat and eat...until they don't. Full mantises will often just hold their half-eaten prey, sometimes for days. Well fed females also lay oothecae more often.I don't mind admitting that I have different tiers of care provided for mantises in different stages. Of primary importance are breeding pairs and fertilized females. Hatchlings need daily attention and feedings. Middle instar mantises are fed in accordance with my goals for them. Males may be slowed down, while females are kept warm and fed often. I especially like the house fly feeding stages because it is convenient. Fruit flies and crickets or roaches take more work so I typically try to maximize the time I put into feeding mantises that need these by offering a larger or more feeders (=less frequent feedings required).
+1

Every other day. Gravid females are just fed a lot and I try to stuff them. Others I just keep plump.

I feed the females every day, at least one cricket depending on their size, now orchids get flies and occasional worms and other flying things in season or from moth hatchings. Babies kept need water and food every day. Males get food three times a week, but often do not eat it, unless it is sheilds and violins, they like food more often. How old are yours and what species are you working with?

so feeding them every other day wont hurt compared to every day as it seems that I go throough 50 dollars worth of crickets a month just by feeding them once a week and then buying 14 dozen or so to last a week if that so just trying to find a better solution then going though 14 dozen crickets in less then a week or up to a week!

i have ghosts, spiny flowers, and boxers. like peter, i try to make sure the laying females are well fed. but i have other enclosures i'd like to just do the math, toss some crickeys in once a week, and forget about it.

thanx for all the posts! this will help me sleep a lot better at night. i'm sure it will help some beginners too!

i have ghosts, spiny flowers, and boxers. like peter, i try to make sure the laying females are well fed. but i have other enclosures i'd like to just do the math, toss some crickeys in once a week, and forget about it. thanx for all the posts! this will help me sleep a lot better at night. i'm sure it will help some beginners too!
Don't close yr eyes quite yet! :D I doubt that any successful breeder tosses some crickets in once a week and forgets about it. If you don't feed, as you suggest, you don't observe (you also don't humidify or clean the enclosure, but that's a separate issue), so you won't know when they are about to molt and are vulnerable to all of those crickets that you put in. Also, crickets will double their size at their weekly molt and the mantids will not, whether or not they molt. And tell us again, why do you keep mantids if you only want to bother with some of them once a week? :rolleyes:

One fly a day or every other day for nymphs. A locust every few days for adults.Depends on the species tho.
Straight up one fly a day/every other day? My mantids eat several a day/every other day no problem and never seem fat enough :rolleyes:

OH and phil I think he might be referring to not worrying about feeding for that week.... lets not go pointing fingers or ridiculing :rolleyes:

Edit: I eat way more than 3 meals a day ;)

Straight up one fly a day/every other day? My mantids eat several a day/every other day no problem and never seem fat enough :rolleyes: OH and phil I think he might be referring to not worrying about feeding for that week.... lets not go pointing fingers or ridiculing :rolleyes:

Edit: I eat way more than 3 meals a day ;)
My gosh Tanner! Me point a finger? No way! :D But my strong objection to this form of husbandry holds and I would still like to know the reason for it. Why should feeding be a "worry"? He would also have to feed the crix for that period of time, and cleaning up the mess of half eaten cricket food and dead crix ( and mantids, probably) once a week would seem to me to cause more work than regular feeding. I think that I am doing a fellow member a service by telling him that we never do this unless we are on vacation, don't you?

Feeding time is the time I look forward to the MOST in the day! I have so much fun doing it that now I feed them smaller portions at multiple times a day.... if I am away a lot and need to feed them all at once, at this point the L5s are taking 4 fruit flies per feeding, the L4s get 2 fruit flies per feeding. Angel, for example, wolfs down 4 flies in about 3 minutes... each fly taking just a few noms to be gone.

Moving these fellas to crickets at L6, probably could take on them now but I want them to be a bit stronger and I still have a lot of fruit flies.

so feeding them every other day wont hurt compared to every day as it seems that I go throough 50 dollars worth of crickets a month just by feeding them once a week and then buying 14 dozen or so to last a week if that so just trying to find a better solution then going though 14 dozen crickets in less then a week or up to a week!
You should consider breeding roaches/crickets.

Personally I dont like the idea of breeding crickets and roaches as would be much more work then anything and I personally dont like roaches and breeding crickets is more trouble then its worth and roaches are something I would never want to to do.Trying to raise them of course no one that I know of would want me to breed and raise roaches! But I am trying to get more crickets though to last me little longer so I dont have to go out and buy them as often and it is cheaper to buy 250 large crickets then it is 7 or 8 dozen at a time and can just get as many dozen smalls that I need that is way less!

Love that first sentence! That's what the hobby is all about. I can lose myself for hours in there.
Same here. My younger brother, who isn't into mantid keeping, tells me that whenever I feed the mantids that I should tell him because he likes to see the mantid eat.

Same here. My younger brother, who isn't into mantid keeping, tells me that whenever I feed the mantids that I should tell him because he likes to see the mantid eat.
My little cousin staid with me for a couple days and every morning he would ask when he could feed them... his favorite were the ghosts B)