Hunchback Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TranCE_Productions_Inc

Reaction score
This was due to a bad molt. It was left in a container that did not provide enough room. It eats normally, however, physical activities are affected by outcome of molt. Seems a little visually impaired. Accuracy of capturing prey have decreased by 30-40% Notice the hind legs are deformed and curved.

"I'm a HUNCHBACK!!"

1000381wj2.jpg

Notice the back of this hunchback mantis is curved downwards, it cannot look upwards. It reminds me of the hunchback in the movie '300'.

1000382bq8.jpg

Here is an image of a normal mantis. Noticed the back of the mantis is straight compared to the hunchback mantis.

1000384gh2.jpg

Do you think it will be normal again after its' next molt?

Sorry but that mantis will not be able to shed again due to the back legs so its best to put it out of its misery..........................freezer :(

The legs are more of an issue than the back.

Sorry but that mantis will not be able to shed again due to the back legs so its best to put it out of its misery..........................freezer :(
I had a mantis with curled back legs like that make it to adulthood.

Poor thing. It kills me to see it in that condition when it could have been easily prevented. :(
Bad molts can not be prevented with 100% succes.
I know that; I was refering to this specific case. TranCE said it, "It was left in a container that did not provide enough room."
I received them and did not have enough time to unpack that one. When I got around to it it was already done with the molt. I was told that they were molted before shipping.

Are you still going to give it a go, and see what happens or are you giving up on it? Tough choice...
It looks healthy & strong to me to me. I'm going to continue to nurture little crippled guy until he molts. I think if he eats normally, then perhaps he will molt eventually. can't stay that size for ever if you keep eating...

heck, I'd give it a chance and if it does not improve up until and through completion of the next molt, then I'd make the ultimate decision... :(

Are you still going to give it a go, and see what happens or are you giving up on it? Tough choice...
It looks healthy & strong to me to me. I'm going to continue to nurture little crippled guy until he molts. I think if he eats normally, then perhaps he will molt eventually. can't stay that size for ever if you keep eating...
If he's catching his own food and thriving I wouldn't ice him. You should see my Chinese. He fell during his final molt and had a hard time. Wings all crazy, had to snip them and he's had a bum leg since L4. This last moult left him with short forelegs so he has to be hand fed. I don't have many to care for and I'm fond of him so I don't mind. He can hold his food and eats well, hangs out in his crib...life is good, he's a bug - he doesn't know he has special needs.