I guess they're lightning fast.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_photo

Reaction score
My Carolina (it might be a California) mantis molted while I was on vacation. It looks like it has wings now but it hasn't tried to fly yet.

He used to have a nice brown markings but he looks really pale since he molted.

Anyawy, I fed him some flies today and I was able to get a shot while he was in mid strike.

He's so fast that you can see motion blur even though I used a flash and high shutterspeed.

mantis_2150.jpg

Here he is eating the fly.

mantis_2167.jpg

Hi chris... nice photo! If you look at the underside of the mantid's abdomen... you will be able to count 6 segments for a female and 8 for a male. Yours looks like it has 6. Also im not too sure with carolina mantids but a males wings would probably extend over and slightly past the abdomen as well. :)

That's why I love this place. Everyone here is helpful, friendly and informative.

I like sharing my pictures here because you guys appreciate it more. :D

When I share them with non-invertebrate people, they cringe! :shock: :lol:

Hi chris... nice photo! If you look at the underside of the mantid's abdomen... you will be able to count 6 segments for a female and 8 for a male. Yours looks like it has 6. Also im not too sure with carolina mantids but a males wings would probably extend over and slightly past the abdomen as well. :)

Your welcome! Its nice to see these 'in action' photos... and everyone loves close ups!

Most kinds of mantids I can tell male from female at first glance. You don't need to count segments when it comes to adults. Or at least I don't need to. Males are thinner and more petite. They have a long thin abdomen that ends in an upturned cup shape. Females are more heavily built with a short wide abdomen that ends in sort of a point. Those mantids like you have in your pic have another way, the females wings are short and incapable of flight.