Idolo Stalking Prey

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sporeworld

Reaction score
So, I find myself in the very unusual situation of focusing all my attention on a single mantid - one L4 Idolo female.

Yesterday, she ate a big moth and a little cricket, which topped off her belly. She is very plump.

Today, I put two house flies in with her. The first flew right into her arms (brilliant move), and she gobbled him up. Then, she noticed the other on the far side of the cage and started twitch-walking towards it, until she picked it off and gobbled it up. She did this for two more house flies within an hour.

This was the first time I witnessed a well fed Idolo chase additional food. I've seen other species actually DIVE and do somersaults to catch prey, but nothing like this from Idolos.

Anyone else witness this...? I've never known them to be this aggressive, but then again, I've always had them communally with more than enough (maybe too much) food.

I have a fat male Ghost that I saw dive after a cold bluebottle fly today. you would think I starved him. :blink:

Harry

When mine were younger L1-L6 they would sometimes stalk prey, that all stops when they reach adult in my case anyway.

I found L3-L5 to be the most frisky and willing to move around after prey even if already very fat.

The "non-aggressive" applies only to people not any other bug they come across.

Latest posts