Idolomantis Diabolica feeding trouble

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utterbeastage

Reaction score
Ever since moulting to L8 my female Idolomantis Diabolica has hardly been eating , her abdomen was worryingly thin but by the looks of things she's taken a bluebottle or two but it's been about two weeks since the moult, I'mjust worried she'll just starve herself to death (After all this bloody hard work!)

Any Ideas ?

I've tried handfeeding but she's not eatng at all, picture of her abdomen in the link:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k97/long...do/IMG_0082.jpg

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :D

She does not appear ready to molt yet. She doens't look that thin but maybe it is the angle of the pic.

She looks fine in the picture. If your that worried why don't you increase the temperature a little. That should raise her metabolism up and maybe she will eat more.

utterbeastage:

Is your L8 still not eating? I notice this on my Idolomantis as well. However, I place them in a huge 3 ft X 1.5 ft X 1.5 ft cage and let tons of blue bottle flying around to stimulate them to feed. It works!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree! There is an old Chinese saying: You can't get the grapes, you'll always say it taste sour!utterbeastage:

Is your L8 still not eating? I notice this on my Idolomantis as well. However, I place them in a huge 3 ft X 1.5 ft X 1.5 ft cage and let tons of blue bottle flying around to stimulate them to feed. It works!
mine is in a 2foot cube (estimate) and still isn't eatng roperly , ive noticed they always have random periods where they won't eat ANYTHING at all.

one more thing , she STILL isn't eating! :rolleyes:

how close to a moult do you reckon she is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for not cleaning this up sooner. Keep it on topic everyone.

Hey.......try to squeeze the inside of a cricket/flies/any insect and put it right on her mouth and see if she start eating that way!

If she is subadult she didn't look close to molting in your first pic. I was trying to get your second pic to show up but I think you have the link wrong.

If you keep your cricket clean/ bought from trusted pet store... they can be good feeder. I do this all the time for my mismolted mantis... some survive when the mismolt is not critical/life threatening.
You cannot feed Idolomantis crickets.

Latest posts