Idolomantis diabolica

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
These have to be the least food aggressive mantids I have ever kept. Mine are L5 and I have tried to offer them small bees, moths, and butterflies. They ignore or run away from all of them. They are plenty big enough to eat what I have given them. For some reason I thought they would be pretty aggressive towards these types of feeders. I know most mantids can't resist a moth or butterfly.

These have to be the least food aggressive mantids I have ever kept. Mine are L5 and I have tried to offer them small bees, moths, and butterflies. They ignore or run away from all of them. They are plenty big enough to eat what I have given them. For some reason I thought they would be pretty aggressive towards these types of feeders. I know most mantids can't resist a moth or butterfly.
wow that's odd... my Idolos that are thick L4s now go after moths all day long lol. My L6's take down hawk moths, BUT, one of the L6's DOES run away from the hawk moth! LOL! hawk moths are huge!!! I trim their wings prior to letting them go into their personal cage. :)

are bees a good idea if this species isn't aggressive??? just don't want your beloved little ones to not get stung!

Last edited by a moderator:
These guys can be very picky at times. They should come around.
That they are. I tossed the butterfly from yesterday in with a Stagmomantis and of course she went nuts.

Rick, I got same problem, all they will eat are bbs! makes me nuts, Yen, why are they like this? I just got them to eat a moth the other day, how fustrating is that
angry.gif

I usually have pretty good results with moths. I think it all has a lot to due with how often the prey flaps it's wings around to trigger a response. I have noticed blue bottle flies that can no longer fly are hardly ever touched!

I've fed mine (L6 and L7) bees and wasps, and they went right after them without hesitation.

I usually have pretty good results with moths. I think it all has a lot to due with how often the prey flaps it's wings around to trigger a response. I have noticed blue bottle flies that can no longer fly are hardly ever touched!
Mine regularly grab them as they crawl around. The small butterfly was flying around. They just ran away mostly. Maybe they get more aggressive as they get older or something. They are cool but way overrated.

I find as they get older they become less aggressive, well at least the males anyway. I did mange to raise a few males the last time around to adulthood. They look so much cooler when they are adults.

Just had one molt to L6. They're getting pretty big now.

Latest posts