Ill Mantis? Can I help?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 13594

Reaction score
A mantis flew into my house the other day and landed on the rim of my water glass so I set it on my back porch table. This morning I found it hanging to the table but looked quite odd to me (but I know zero about them so I googled and hoped it was just molting). This afternoon I saw that it had fallen off the table to the ground. I have cats and I didn't want them to mess with it so I gently scoped it up with some paper and placed it into a container... Is it ok? Is there anything I can do to be helpful to it? Is this normal lifecycle stuff? Note: picture and video on wicker table is this morning... picture and video in plastic container is this evening...

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 10.36.41 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 10.35.49 PM.png

Last edited:
4A98369F-02C7-4FB4-98E0-2A34AF413D2B.jpeg

And this young lady was on my front door this evening. Is it correct that the males generally pass after mating? Is there anything I could do to help this lady out?

No that’s not true they don’t die after mating. the males die from old age, starvation, bacterial infections, parasites or getting eaten by a female after mating or other animals. do you wanna keep her If that’s what you mean by helping her out? If so bring her inside and make her a nice enclosure with lots of plants or sticks. she looks gravid to me so she will lay you an ooth soon and you will have babies. :) you can then release the mantises back outside if you don’t wanna keep them or put the ooth outside and it can hatch on its own.

No that’s not true they don’t die after mating. the males die from old age, starvation, bacterial infections, parasites or getting eaten by a female after mating or other animals. do you wanna keep her If that’s what you mean by helping her out? If so bring her inside and make her a nice enclosure with lots of plants or sticks. she looks gravid to me so she will lay you an ooth soon and you will have babies. :) you can then release the mantises back outside if you don’t wanna keep them or put the ooth outside and it can hatch on its own.
Thank you for letting me know!

I was asking if she needs anything or if she's good to go without me. I love watching them but don't want to contain or restrict them unless they need some help or protection.

Nope She looks perfect! I would say just let her go on her own unless it’s getting to cold out where you live. And you’re very welcome.

Thank you for letting me know!

I was asking if she needs anything or if she's good to go without me. I love watching them but don't want to contain or restrict them unless they need some help or protection.
She's a beauty. If you don't want to keep her I'd just let her go and let nature run its course. Who knows... you may see some of her offspring next year. 😊

She's a beauty. If you don't want to keep her I'd just let her go and let nature run its course. Who knows... you may see some of her offspring next year. 😊
She she is! I moved her to my back porch. This is the 3 one I've seen since moving into this house in Missouri. I have 3 inside/outside cats so I just didn't want them to mess with her but one walked up to her and she ran up and lunged at him and he ran off. Lol. I've never seen these insects before so they are so fascinating to me! I don't want to have taken her from her food source though. I have a garden in the front yard with lots of grasshoppers and crickets. But the backyard is pretty barren, just grass. But she fell onto my hand last night when I opened my front door so just trying to learn to co habitate with her without negatively impacting her life.

Latest posts