In a pinch

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocknessMonster

Reaction score
It's been raining for a few days where I live and I've caught a fly or two but I'm slightly in a food pinch until Monday. I had some ham (unseasoned and uncooked) and my little lady seemed to take to it well, I was wondering what else I could use until I can get to a pet store?

Honey is good. Hamburger? Do you still have moths flying at night? I caught plenty earlier this year for my guys.

She's had honey on and off during the day. We're in a weird storm where I'm at, so I have to wait until I can get out Monday to get her food.

No it's raining on and off so nothing is really flying around. I'd rather not use crickets but seeing that it's harder to catch any flies/moths I'll need to resort to it. But until the time being I'll cross my fingers that we have burgers for dinner.

No they won't likely eat meat like that. Crickets are the way to go. I've been feeding my mantids crickets for ages and no problems ever occured

Maybe some sort of crustacean would be better, if you aren't able to get some insects for it. A couple days without food won't hurt either.

Hot dog?!!! Grilled?!!!! Oh my! :rolleyes: That is probably no good, even for humans. I hope that at least it is the high quality, kosher kind of hot dogs.

Wow you guys are lucky, you can take your mantis to a ball game and they'll eat right along with you, ballpark franks, hamburgers, nachos, beer, Wowziers...

I know some like bananas, which may fill them up better than just honey, one little shrimp(if you have it) would go a long way and be much better for them than hamburger.

I'm sure there're arthropods that you can capture even during the rain. Most will either be hiding under your eaves to escape to rain, inside your house, or hidden beneath a rock or piece of wood. There are actually a great number of arthropods that are more common when it rains, as well. One delicious example is termites! Mantids love them, they're full of nutrition, and they like to fly around after the rain. You can also look for ants trying to escape the flooding of their tunnels, their queens can be fairly large and you can crush their heads to prevent them from biting your mantids.

Latest posts