Injured foot (not leg) what do I do?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FleshOdium

Reaction score
Well I cried over this one because I felt so bad to have not noticed. I closed the lid of my Ghost Mantis girls lid and I guess I caught her foot. I guess she's had her foot stuck there since last night. She pulled it out instantly and brought it to her mouth. She seems to not be able to put weight on it and if it isn't in the air she has it gently on the ground (btw it's her right last back leg). I hand fed her this time as she seems immobile (a cricket) and plan to turn her deli cup around so she's on the bottom and so that I can keep a paper towel moist beside her. Will she be ok. Should I do something else?

Picture is of her right now. The leg facing the camera in the rear is the injured leg
bW3I74x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
She will be fine. Just leave her as is.

The mantis will be fine. The leg will grow back in next 1-2 molts.

By the way, I might be wrong but your mantis looks like a male. P. paradoxa males have a horn that is more curvy or S shape and thin. On the other hand female's horn would be more straight and flat. The antenna are also more longer and thicker that a female would have. Check out the head comparison of a male and female P. paradoxa here:

http://www.ukmantisforums.co.uk/general-mantis-pics/5280-possible-sex-these-2.html

She will be fine. Just leave her as is.
if the foot is too injured she will bite it off and regrow it next molt

just let her be and feed her and stuff
That's barely anything.. Don't worry.
Thank you all. HE. I guess my female is a boy according to Vlodek. OOPS! I feel silly. I'm naturally a tarantula person so my sexing is quite new/unhoned yet. Also why I panicked so hard as injuries are really terrible with T's.

Anyways he did use his leg and seems alright. But I'm not going to do anything to check. I'd rather just leave him be like you all suggested. Thank you btw.

The mantis will be fine. The leg will grow back in next 1-2 molts.

By the way, I might be wrong but your mantis looks like a male. P. paradoxa males have a horn that is more curvy or S shape and thin. On the other hand female's horn would be more straight and flat. The antenna are also more longer and thicker that a female would have. Check out the head comparison of a male and female P. paradoxa here:

http://www.ukmantisforums.co.uk/general-mantis-pics/5280-possible-sex-these-2.html
My gosh I feel silly. As I mentioned above I'm a seasoned Tarantula person so my sexing is very new with mantids. I guess I need to rename him!! XD Thank you btw. I honestly was starting to wonder given his abdomen and crown now that he is on his 6th or 7th molt.

Mine is like that too! But I'm just letting him hang on the branches! I wonder if I should hand feed him...

Latest posts