Interbreeding

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

Reaction score
I'm not looking to make any ungodly island-of-dr.-monroe creatures, BUT PURELY OUT OF CURIOSITY, is it possible to breed different (or similar) species of mantids? For instance, say, a deroplatys lobata, with a truncata? I've read up a little bit on it (not sure if it was a thread here, or somewhere else), and i've gathered some info that points to the possibility, but I'd like to hear what yall got to say about it.

It wont work... People have tried to breed Wahlbergiis and occelatas and nothing happened. Same with hierodulas. Its just a waste of time.

No...biologically speaking maybe; I'm not sure of the genetics between the species lIke the egg and sperm composition ...it's been awhile since AP Biology ;) ...but a male truncata will not be attracted to a dessicata female's pheromones...the only way you can try it would 've tricking the male to mount her and maybe he might connect...I doubt it though...but from the question you are talking about hybridization where as the title is inbreeding (mating amongst the same specie)--am I right in this statement?

All the best,

Andrew

No...biologically speaking maybe; I'm not sure of the genetics between the species lIke the egg and sperm composition ...it's been awhile since AP Biology ;) ...but a male truncata will not be attracted to a dessicata female's pheromones...the only way you can try it would 've tricking the male to mount her and maybe he might connect...I doubt it though...but from the question you are talking about hybridization where as the title is inbreeding (mating amongst the same specie)--am I right in this statement?

All the best,

Andrew
Well he said interbreeding not inbreeding....

When a mantis meets another mantis of a different species the main thing you'll note in a majority of the situations is it was dinner time for one of them. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the genetics, when you cross two subspecies its known as outcrossing, hybridization is the crossing of unrelated species and is much rarer. As for outcrossing truncata and lobata what would it even be for? Each species has its own unique traits and trying to play god never advances anything. Without the proper tracking of the offspring it would lead to misidentfications that would further genetic issues within the hobby not to mention take the natural beauty out of the insect. Mother nature for the most part keeps things in order with natural barriers and other things like the production of pheromones not to mention size differences that keep this from being an issue.

As for the genetics, when you cross two subspecies its known as outcrossing, hybridization is the crossing of unrelated species and is much rarer. As for outcrossing truncata and lobata what would it even be for? Each species has its own unique traits and trying to play god never advances anything. Without the proper tracking of the offspring it would lead to misidentfications that would further genetic issues within the hobby not to mention take the natural beauty out of the insect. Mother nature for the most part keeps things in order with natural barriers and other things like the production of pheromones not to mention size differences that keep this from being an issue.
+1 Well said...thank you for the informative knowledge ;)

Yeah what he said. Also keeping different stocks isolated is always a good practice.

But hybrids happen naturally in nature. It isn't impossible, but i doubt it. Each species has its own pheromones

I think the closely related creos do intermate, but not sure, and certainly cannot prove it, but I have a pic and post in the Bugatorium post somewhere where my chinese male mated with a religiosa female, nothing came of it, but they did mate.

I think the closely related creos do intermate, but not sure, and certainly cannot prove it, but I have a pic and post in the Bugatorium post somewhere where my chinese male mated with a religiosa female, nothing came of it, but they did mate.
Interesting, and such a different species

Someone should try and document this experiment with Creos, i would be willing to if anyone has an adult female creobroter pictipeniss and adult male gemmatus

Gross ;)

My topic post was purely hypothetical. You're saying in nature there has never been one species of mantis that has successfully bred with another?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts