Introducing myself :)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hartley

Reaction score
I hope this is where I am supposed to do this :) My name is Mark and I recently decided to dedicate the time and resources to become a mantis keeper and hopefully a breeder. I have always enjoyed looking at them in nature and last year I was fishing at my local park lake in late fall. I noticed a big Chinese mantis at the edge of the water on a wood boarder of the lake and she was so very lethargic due to the cold and the ducks were heading her way! I reached down and she immediately crawled onto my hand and enjoyed my warm skin. I had just arrived for a fishing session so I put her in my car. She stayed in the car for a couple hours and when I returned to the car I had to do a bit of searching but there she was. Much more energetic and still quick to reach out for me. I have a 5 yr old granddaughter with whom I herp for all kinds of creatures and she named her Peppa after Peppa pig, one of her favorite shows :) I didn't want to enclose her in anything as she had been in the wild all of her life so I set her on a giant Mass Cane in my living room and got her a feeder cricket. She took it right from my fingers and proceeded to eat it like she stole it! LOL! I followed it up with a wax worm and she was very happy to wash the cricket down with that juicy morsel! Peppa was a full size adult so she only lived for a few more weeks but in that time she had a wonderful life and provided us with heart warming entertainment. So this year I decided to throw myself into mantids. I got a ooth off of eBay from a very highly reviewed seller and sure enough after carefully keeping it in the right temps and humidity it exploded and now I am tending to MANY tiny little L1 and recently molted L2 babies :) I recently purchased a pr of L3 ghosts and a pr of L2 or 3 Spiny Flowers and they are AMAZING! I look forward to getting to know y'all and enjoying these wonderful creatures with like minded folks :) Thanks for allowing me to be a part of your forum!

Latest posts