Introduction. Ootheca hatched!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scbikes45

Reaction score
hey there,

im new to the mantis gig, i went out and got a ghost mantis yesterday from kenthebugguy.com which is convieniently 5 miles from my house. the ghost is awsome, meanwhile ive had a chinese ootheca sitting in a cup for a few weeks, sure enough i woke up this morning to find that it had hatched! im stoked considering this is my first ootheca and for it to hatch makes my day. i wanna get more into the rare pricey mantids such as orchid ect. just thoguht id introduce myself and what ive got going on!

by the way my name is john!

hey there, im new to the mantis gig, i went out and got a ghost mantis yesterday from kenthebugguy.com which is convieniently 5 miles from my house. the ghost is awsome, meanwhile ive had a chinese ootheca sitting in a cup for a few weeks, sure enough i woke up this morning to find that it had hatched! im stoked considering this is my first ootheca and for it to hatch makes my day. i wanna get more into the rare pricey mantids such as orchid ect. just thoguht id introduce myself and what ive got going on!

by the way my name is john!
Hey John I'm the guy that sold that manits to you yesterday ;) after you left I thought to my self "dang it forgot to tell em bout this forum" LOL glad you found it though! Welcome to the forum!!

Hi John and welcome, u got some nice babies, now mist them with warm distilled water morn and once again at night, tomorrow or next day start feeding them. from OHIO!

Hi John, and welcome to the forum... very nice to have you here. :) You've found a great resource in gathering information vital to the success with your new little charges. ;) Browsing through past threads on the forum, either randomly or gathering information about specific questions or subjects of husbandry, feeding, etc. will help you immensely. I highly recommend it! And for specific topics you can use the forum Search feature.... very helpful in pulling up lots of pertinent threads. ;)

Best of luck to you with your new hobby, and again... welcome!
WavingHi.gif

Hey John I'm the guy that sold that manits to you yesterday ;) after you left I thought to my self "dang it forgot to tell em bout this forum" LOL glad you found it though! Welcome to the forum!!
hey there, i actually sent you an email to your hotmail account

first 2 pix are the ghost, sorry crappy iphone pix

3rd pic is the chinese hatchilings before i seperated them

ghost_mantis_1.jpg

ghost_mantis_2.jpg

chinese_mantis_hatchlings.jpg

first 2 pix are the ghost, sorry crappy iphone pix3rd pic is the chinese hatchilings before i seperated them
Hey John... What kind of ventilation do you have for the first enclosure? I can't see any, and adequate ventilation is vital. Or maybe the perspective from which you took the pic is hiding it, and I just can't see?

Is the second enclosure looks like an aquarium or terrarium... is it? Does it have good ventilation also?

A tip on posting pics too.... You'll use up your limited allotment of combined file size space pretty quickly using the "insert" button which uploads to Mantidforum servers. An only slightly more complicated (at first) solution is to post pics using other file hosting sites, inserting the img code into your message. For an explanation of the two types of uploading pics here, and the advantages of using Method 2 (which I highly recommend), please see the sticky thread in the Mantid Photos section "How to Add Pictures to Posts, (2 Different Methods)."

Best of luck with your new troop of little ones! ;)

I've seen a lot of hatch pictures like your third one, and have always wondered - but I'm finally going to ask it.

How do you feed those guys? I would be really scared to take the lid off lol

I've seen a lot of hatch pictures like your third one, and have always wondered - but I'm finally going to ask it.How do you feed those guys? I would be really scared to take the lid off lol
Yeah, I would prefer to hatch an ooth like that in a net cube, but not everyone has one. Perhaps the easiest way is to have a small hole in the lid stopped with a sponge plug (where do you get your orange and red foam from, by the way? Very cool!) . Flick the plug with yr finger, pull it out and stick in a funnel and add yr flightless mels.

You can separate the nymphs into two pots by placing the existing pot and another one, set up but without a lid, in a large glass bowl (I can use my kitchenware for anything I like!) and then removing the lid from the first pot, putting it on the second, nymphs and all, and with yr extra pair of hands, placing a new lid on the first pot. You'll lose a few, but you will lose a lot in the first week, anyway.

Hey John... What kind of ventilation do you have for the first enclosure? I can't see any, and adequate ventilation is vital. Or maybe the perspective from which you took the pic is hiding it, and I just can't see?Is the second enclosure looks like an aquarium or terrarium... is it? Does it have good ventilation also?

A tip on posting pics too.... You'll use up your limited allotment of combined file size space pretty quickly using the "insert" button which uploads to Mantidforum servers. An only slightly more complicated (at first) solution is to post pics using other file hosting sites, inserting the img code into your message. For an explanation of the two types of uploading pics here, and the advantages of using Method 2 (which I highly recommend), please see the sticky thread in the Mantid Photos section "How to Add Pictures to Posts, (2 Different Methods)."

Best of luck with your new troop of little ones! ;)
teh first pic is an acrylic jar that i drilled 20 1/8 inch holes in. im hoping thats enough doesnt fog up or anything so i assume so.

second pic in a dart frog tank that i havent wiped the glass off in awhile. i have 4 darts as well as chameleons.

as far as posting pics i just took those off my phone really quick haha sorry if they are big!

Yeah, I would prefer to hatch an ooth like that in a net cube, but not everyone has one. Perhaps the easiest way is to have a small hole in the lid stopped with a sponge plug (where do you get your orange and red foam from, by the way? Very cool!) . Flick the plug with yr finger, pull it out and stick in a funnel and add yr flightless mels.You can separate the nymphs into two pots by placing the existing pot and another one, set up but without a lid, in a large glass bowl (I can use my kitchenware for anything I like!) and then removing the lid from the first pot, putting it on the second, nymphs and all, and with yr extra pair of hands, placing a new lid on the first pot. You'll lose a few, but you will lose a lot in the first week, anyway.
That sounds like a good bet, I notice on his picture (and I've noticed on YenSaw's posts as well) that there aren't any holes in the cup. Just wondering how they manage

And about the foam hehe, they are magicians spongeballs -

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=6977

Lol, just goes to show that I've slowed down on magic to pursue my mantids... I keep telling myself I'll need em' again soon, Hopefully I will.

Latest posts