Introduction

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat Stauffer

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

I belong to several of the facebook lists but I am new on this list and my first time posting here. I have 2 stagmomantis Carolina. A male and a female that I kept from the ooths of a wild caught female. Can someone please tell me how long the males can live after reaching maturity? TIA

Hello Pat, welcome to the forums! My understanding is that the longest any mantis can live into adulthood is 5 to 6 months. Although, there are always exceptions to that general rule in both directions!

Hello Pat and welcome to the forum
welcome6.gif

You may notice some familiar names here, but likely most will be unknown. Most of us tend to be on the forum here, and some on the Facebook groups (few do both and even then spend much of their time on one or the other). ;)

Males do not live as long as female mantids (and a main breeding problem keepers experience). Typically males live 3 months as adults, and some lucky ones top out at about 5 months.

Roughly mantids live a year, 4-6 months as a nymph and 3-6 months as a adult. Of course less time in the wild, and less in US northern states, as they have less time to live/catch prey before the cold kills them. I've had some captive raised pets though make it over a year, and my oldest was a 15 month old Ghost (Phyllocrania paradoxa) female.

Latest posts