Is it possible to identify mantis from ooth

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willgood

Reaction score
I recently bought two ooths from the local hardware store in the plant section. There were two types of packages, one red and one purple, the ootheca in the red bag was bigger and the one in the purple was smaller. Maybe someone has seen them before, the "manufacturer" was ladies in red but the packaging said nothing about their species. Im guessing its a common type because the ooths were fairly inexpensive. I can post pictures if necessary and if you can tell species from what the ootheca looks like.

Generally you can tell or at least get close. Post the pics. I bet it's from a chinese mantis.

yea, im thinking they will be very common type. Ill have pics up in a few minutes, but they wont be the greatest quality.

ok here we go, first three are from the biggest ooth

ooth15nv.jpg

ooth22qx.jpg

ooth34xh.jpg

and these three pictures are from the smaller ooth

ooth45af.jpg

ooth52up.jpg

ooth66en.jpg

Where are you located? I would say they are all tenedora (chinese)

I have found that shape on tenedora cases around here on many occasions. Seems that usually it's the third or later ooth that looks like that.

More than likely they are tenedora ooths. Let them hatch and then see what you get.

If you are in the US and you found them in a garden/hardware store, then chances are 99.9% its a chinese ooth.

Thanks,

Andrew

Latest posts