Japanese Beetles

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkittishMale

Reaction score
Popillia japonica, the Japanese Beetle is an invasive species where I live. I often see groups of adults congregated on various species of plants. I am wondering if large mantids like the Chinese (Tenodera sinensis) would be able to eat these. If so, I would like to collect these beetles to feed to my Chinese mantids. The beetles have a hard exoskeleton but if the mantids can get through it, would they be safe for them to eat? I also noticed that the beetles don't bite when I pick them up.

My guess would be, it's a hard insect to chew on. I've seen my mantids giving up on beetles for not being able to get through the tough shell.
The poster said they could eat them but then stated they may not be a good food.

But a large species should be able to tackle one of these. I believe I have used them as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've observed that as well. But a large species should be able to tackle one of these. I believe I have used them as well.
True. That specific beetle also looks quite soft compared to most I find around here but the point stands. It's still hard prey item, though it's fun to watch them find a weak spot.

I have fed them before to Chinese Mantids. They do not seem to have very much juice or soft parts. It might be hard for the mantis to digest, but I do not know. I will see if my T. sinensis nymphs that are close to adult will discard a lot of the beetle such as the hard elytria and maybe many other parts of the beetle when I feed them that.

Latest posts