just heads up

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scytheclaw

Reaction score
most likely common knowledge

after reading few posts i noticed some mantids were dying after being offered wild food,if you are going to offer your mantids wild food make sure you collect from sites where no insecticides/pesticides are sprayed as would be a shame losing them after spending time raising them

as said above most likely been mentioned few times but if saves one person losing their pets its served a purpose

Last edited by a moderator:
It is best to keep wild feeders for a day or so to ensure the health of the feeders before offering them to be eaten. I lost a shield mantid from a wild beetle that was much to easy to catch and fed immediately. I should've known something was up. Now I wait.

An excellent point - thank you for sharing that with us. I keep cricket nymphs (that are acquired from pet stores) in quarantine. I put them in a one week quarantine (minimum) and I feed the quarantined crickets high quality food. Any crickets that don't look right are taken out of circulation and not fed to the mantids. I never feed them adult crickets due to problems I've always had with them. I also use mealworms to feed mantids. I'd love to know what other food ideas people have. I don't trust the wild caught stuff in these congested suburbs. Maybe if they come from your own trusted (pesticide free) yard but who knows what the neighbors spray.

Never had problems with wild caught insects. Infact, they are my only source of food

It is best to keep wild feeders for a day or so to ensure the health of the feeders before offering them to be eaten. I lost a shield mantid from a wild beetle that was much to easy to catch and fed immediately. I should've known something was up. Now I wait.
You are aware that some beetles are poisonous right? Specially those that release a stinky smell, they can be harmful

I would have to agree. Also agree with the insect poison avoidance. I usually keep them for 48 hours as a safe bet if I'm not 100% sure that they're native to my insecticide free yard :)

MFS :euro:

Latest posts