just remember even ghosts will eat each other

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeymikie

Reaction score
http://imgur.com/a/45bc1 I split up 13 into three large containers. Guess i'll have to split them up more. I'm going to do one in ever container. Gonna be tough since i have seven of a different species coming tomorrow. Such is life

ive been keeping mine communally the entire time ive had them, just over a year now. and i JUSt had my first loss. and i what happen was one caught a cricket and the other tried to steal it, in the process grabbing the other mantis. she devoured them both

It helps if you use as big an enclosure possible with near constant ample livefood, plus packed with enough twigs to make sure they arent crowding too much. And even then thats no guarantee, there will be a causality sooner or later with any species.

I've had ghosts for two gens now, this gen was the first time I've had cannabalism. I've lost 6 when they are molting both males eating males and females eating females.I still keep them communally, though separted by sex.

I had a male and female in the same cage. Although the cage was huge. It used to belong to my Bearded Dragon before we updated his cage. They never ate each other. When they came upon each other they'd usually just look at each other, with slight interest. Only once did they actually do the defense pose at each other (once the female did it, the male did it back). But they parted ways afterward. Even when they were molting they didn't bother each other. I suppose it was because of the combination of the big cage, only being 2 mantids, and being well-fed.

http://imgur.com/a/45bc1 I split up 13 into three large containers. Guess i'll have to split them up more. I'm going to do one in ever container. Gonna be tough since i have seven of a different species coming tomorrow. Such is life
Lol such is life indeed. I have 30+ nymphs separated from the main container. It's easier when they're small to separate them, I have hundreds of sauce cups. It's when they get older that it gets harder to separate them. Because they can only remain in the sauce cups til, I'd say, L3. So basically whenever a holiday comes up, or my birthday, I ask for critter keepers and mantid food (flies, superworms, etc).

ive been keeping mine communally the entire time ive had them, just over a year now. and i JUSt had my first loss. and i what happen was one caught a cricket and the other tried to steal it, in the process grabbing the other mantis. she devoured them both
Normally I feel sad to hear about the death of mantids, but this actually made me giggle-snort. What a greedy gut hahaha!

Latest posts