Lady bugs?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chinese mantids and probably others eat ladybugs with impunity but probably better not to risk it with different species.

Any hard shelled insect should not be used as prey as they are near impossible for most mantids to eat, or get much from even if they try, and can damage themselves in the process. As Digger said lady bugs are poisonous/toxic, and so are some other insects (such as Milkweed bugs (Oncopeltus fasciatus), and about anything else you see on vines/ivy/pods). Any insects with bright coloring is normally toxic, and is why they have bright colors (it's a warning).

That said the best things to capture for prey for mantids are flying insects, as they are the most active (attracting the mantids attention) and hold little to no threat to mantids - houseflies, stable flies, bottle flies (green/blue/etc), small moths (gypsy/pantry, wild, etc).

I wouldn't say hard shelled prey is near impossible for mantids to eat, mine have always been fond of ladybugs and japanese beetles. Though I imagine it might not be a good idea to feed them to adult mantids too frequently, in case it causes their mandibles to wear down and makes eating more difficult. (?)

I wouldn't say hard shelled prey is near impossible for mantids to eat, mine have always been fond of ladybugs and japanese beetles. Though I imagine it might not be a good idea to feed them to adult mantids too frequently, in case it causes their mandibles to wear down and makes eating more difficult. (?)
Good point, and perhaps is the cause of my past mantids developing issues eating hard shelled feeders. It would also explain why my older mantids had issues with any at all. When I first started feeding wild prey a few years ago I tried many things, but since only use soft bodied feeders (especially the flying variety) and have no issues.