lettuce eating mantid

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rospil15

Reaction score
My limbata had just mated and I temporarily put her in an enclosure where I usually keep grasshoppers. At the bottom were some dried up lettuce leaves. She climbed down and began munching on some of the dried up leaves. Is this normal behavior? I had fed her a lot, so I know she was not hungry. I also feed her a variety of food, such as grasshoppers, butterflies, flies, crickets, and moths, so I don't think she is missing something in her diet. Has anyone seen this before? Thanks.

It's not normal for mantids to live in pots, but they manage. I very much doubt that your mother to be will come to any harm -- maybe the leaves smelled/tasted of crix! :D

[SIZE=14pt]Ya mantid don't eat mashmellow in the wild but some1 feed 1 to a mantid, and then there is hunny I never seen a mantid pull up to a hunny bar and ask for 2 fingers of hunny, and they will take hunny @ time so who know, A finger was like a shot I think.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
She is thirsty and senses the moisture in the lettuce. Same reason sometimes they will "lick" your skin. Mist her more often.

As what many have said above, your mantid is thirsty. Use a toothpick or something and put a drop of water onto it's forelegs.

As what many have said above, your mantid is thirsty. Use a toothpick or something and put a drop of water onto it's forelegs.
I think misting would be far more effective.

I think misting would be far more effective.
Yeah, misting would be more effective. Sometimes I use it too, but when I have a few minutes to spare, I like to watch how a water droplet disappears as the mantid drinks it.

Latest posts