Life ending molt?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creapedout

Reaction score
Very frustrating....I had to leave town and left 2 crickets in the cage with the mantis...except the mantis finally molted.

She is bent like a pretzel..... :-(

There is a terrible bend in her neck as well....it looks bad to me....the two back legs are jet black and not moving...the ones in front of those have some small funky bends. Claws look ok, but I don't know how the movement will be with that crook in her neck.

Is she possibly still soft?...wings are all bent up....or is there a chance things will straighten out?

bent.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor little gal... One of my chinese molted the other day and has the same bend in the neck problem. It always sucks to see one of your beloved mantises come out of a molt in such bad shape. =-(

If she can eat, and pass the food through her system than she could still live a full life. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do at this point.

Yes, it is a bummer...I didn't think I would grow so attached. It is sad to look at her try to move, so maybe the freezer is the best recourse. :-(

Any opinions which is best...I will see if she can catch a cricket. The upper body terrible bent, but the grasping legs look ok, the mid legs seem to be bent but useable, the back legs...black and just like strings. Limited mobility.

Would it be worth a shot to release her and maybe some mate will come calling? Or would that be cruel, and she would die pretty quickly?

Thanks!

If they can eat, I always keep them even if they need to be hand fed. It is up to you what you do, but I wouldn't release her.

Can she climb and hang?

It looks like she is climbing in the photo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts