Lifted segment on abdomen.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancaster1313

Likebugs (site changed my name😐)
Reaction score
I found this mantid nymph in the wild. I am assuming it is a stagmomantis carolina male. After his first molt, with me,(not his actual first) I have noticed a lifted segment which is more prominent after the second molt.He started moving his abdomen to this side often.He does hold it straight as well. It looks like something is poking out beetween segments, sometimes, and it also seems to go back to laying flat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen it before. Not sure what causes it, perhaps an injury? Shouldn't be an issue.

It could be maybe a fly larvae or something like that or just a injury but keep a eye on the spot though!

its a worm. i seen a clip on youtube of this once. I think they got it out by feeding the mantis more water and fruit juices...

Masiphya confusa, a tachinid fly, forms an air hole beetween the 5th and 6th segment of S.carolina nymphs. :eek: I dont want to believe it. I suppose I'll soon find out. I just googled: mantid parasite segment, to find an article about it. They wrote that 85 or 89% of nymphs they had collected, were affected! :angry: It was in another state in 1985 or 86. I guess if you collect wild then you take your chances. I still hope Rick is right, being that he has seen the lifted segments before.

Masiphya confusa, a tachinid fly, forms an air hole beetween the 5th and 6th segment of S.carolina nymphs. :eek: I dont want to believe it. I suppose I'll soon find out. I just googled: mantid parasite segment, to find an article about it. They wrote that 85 or 89% of nymphs they had collected, were affected! :angry: It was in another state in 1985 or 86. I guess if you collect wild then you take your chances. I still hope Rick is right, being that he has seen the lifted segments before.
I considered the parasite issue too. Stagmomantis seems to have parasitic fly infestations often. You'll just have to wait and see.

Here is my parasite thread from last year:

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15604&st=0&p=109403&fromsearch=1entry109403

Thanks, I read it when I first noticed the lifted segment, it was very informative. Good idea for display. I hope I don't discover that this lifted 5th segment is a symptom. I do wonder if there is an actual season here in S.Florida. I don't even know the instar of the mantid in question. He molted on 5/27 and has not been accepting prey for 2 days. He does do the "I want it" dance at stray flies that land on the mirror near his container, but when I offer flies he just hits them. I do hope that means a molt is imminent, and not some emergence of a maggot or 5. Wait and see, that seems to have been my whole mantid and ootheca experience so far. I won't let it put me off, as I am too far gone and like having them around. :)

He molted today and looks good to me. B) I think he might be subadult now, he now has little winglets instead of just wing buds. Perhaps he was a little fat before molting. If there is something lurking in there it has to be small. :rolleyes: Being a mom, I tend to worry more than I used to, always inspecting the kids for problems. :lol: