Little worried

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got our Orchid Mantis from Peter and all appears well so far. I am a little concerned it hasn't eaten yet though. Not sure if it's just not hungry because Peter fed it well before the journey, if it's close to molting, are the house flies to big for it maybe, or something else? I want to have faith it's just about to molt but I can't really ask it what's up though huh? My biggest worry though is that the flies are to big for the, I believe, L2 Orchid Mantis. It has had then literally right behind Mantis. 

20160803_192457.jpg

This mantis can take bb flies easily, it must be going to molt, remove food, and find something it can enjoy living in, it can't see out

in that opage cup.

Will food left in there steps it out while trying to molt?

Is it important then for them to be able to see out? 

Thank you. 
If you use crickets as feeders they can eat a molting mantid, or cause it to fall (which will usually kill it too). Cockroaches and flies should be fine if your mantid molts, but it is best if you can remove any excess feeders it does not eat.

A clear habitat serves several purposes - it keeps the mantid from being isolated in a even smaller container (it can only see the small inner space of a colored container) and a clear one will allow it to get use to you/your movements/and various sights nearby making it a much more friendly mantid, and allows you to watch/understand it's behavior/know if it needs attention/and flat-out makes it more of a pet than one sealed off in a container that you can not see.

My orchid takes down greenbottle flies of her own size without an issue. She may not eat it all but she certainly isn't afraid of tackling them.

I certainly agree that a clear container is best. All my mantids keep a close eye on the goings on (I'm sure I read somewhere they can see up to 50 feet).

Real newbie here:   L2 orchid eats house flies?  Thought needed smaller?
Indeed much too large. As the Orchid (Hymenopus coronatus) is very tiny at L2 as most mantises are, see here for a L1 and L2 Orchid together on a human finger for size. At that size they should be eating fruit flies, and judging by the tiny forearms Melanogaster FF too.

I see what you are referring to now, the original post, I just answered the follow up questions and missed that. It would definitely explain why the mantis was not eating as it was too scared of that huge fly (compared to it).

In case you have the species too, here is the caresheet for the species, and another one too.

I have a picture I just posted on the facebook page for my site, it is a tiny orchid eating a big blue bottle fly, I have found they eat them at 1st instar with no

problem. sorry no mean to upset anyone.