Local mantids have matured

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Was walking to the car today from work and something hit me in the chest. Thought it was a leaf but looked down to find this young adult chinese mantis. Just a common chinese but was surprised to find an adult around here now. Kinda early from what I have seen in the past. I took her home, fed her and will release her in a nice area full of mantids behind my house.

mantids225.jpg

I guess the "extra" hot weather around the midwest area speed up the growth for some mantids. Nice, i really need to drag myself out in the wood soon. I remember you caught some "metallic" green chinese mantis last year Rick, that was awsome! Hope you can find more this year.

I found an adult female chinese mantis outside this week, too. Last year we found our first adult chinese of the season around July 20.

Just about a month ago I was finding L2 nymphs outside. They grow fast.

There's a pretty large population of Chinese mantids around my house. Almost all of them are 1 moult away from adulthood. Even a few adults here too.

True, but it's absolutly beatiful in our area today. I killed about 45 minutes hunting for grasshoppers in the field behind my house.