• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Mantidforum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for big, exciting, easy bugs for exhibits

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsukineko9

Reaction score
I am a curator at a seasonal insectarium (open May - October) in Michigan, and I am looking for some big, exciting, easy to take care of bugs for our 2011 season. Preferences are for large walking sticks (ex: E. tiaratum, H. dilatata), African Giant millipedes, cockroach species larger than 2.5", and large communal beetles (excluding Atlas beetles). The exhibits we have to house them in are 1'D x 2'W x 3'H. Shipping would take place in April. Right now I am looking for quotes, offers, and suggestions. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

- Diana

PS - I do have a permit to import insects from anywhere within the United States.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a curator at a seasonal insectarium (open May - October) in Michigan, and I am looking for some big, exciting, easy to take care of bugs for our 2011 season. Preferences are for large walking sticks (ex: E. tiaratum, H. dilatata), African Giant millipedes, cockroach species larger than 2.5", and large communal beetles (excluding Atlas beetles). The exhibits we have to house them in are 1'D x 2'W x 3'H. Shipping would take place in April. Right now I am looking for quotes, offers, and suggestions. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

- Diana

PS - I do have a permit to import insects from anywhere within the United States.
Within the US isn't much, considering most people know USA'ers aren't actually allowed to keep really cool big bugs.

If you want something cool for your exhibit? Try getting:

Stick insects:

Heteropteryx dilitata

Macleay Spectre

Mantids:

(Adult females only, just because females are so much better than males in this species, my opinion)

Gongylus Gongylodes

Idolomantis Diabolica

Deroplatys Dessicata

Phyllocrania Paradoxa

Hymenopus Coronatus

Perhaps a mantid breeder who has a retired adult could sell you one for cheaper than normal rate? Hope your event works out!! :)

Lubber grasshoppers! They are easy to take care of and reach an incredible size. They are very friendly and docile, they rarely jump and prefer to crawl and hang out.

I have many Eastern Lubbers. I am trying to breed them, so if I have extra babies come April or May perhaps I can let you know. Another way to get them is to find someone who lives in Florida to send them off to you.