• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Mantidforum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for First Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bravado

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am looking to raise a mantis of my own.

I have looked at numerous care sheets and read up on the comparative difficulty in rearing different mantis species. I have cared for many animals: dogs, chameleons, frogs, and many more. I had a pet black widow when I was in first grade that I found in a water meter that I kept for about a year before releasing it into the wild soon after it produced an egg sack. I bred cornsnakes with my father since I can remember. I understand cornsnakes are easy to maintain and probably not as good a comparison to a mantis as a black widow or chameleon in terms of rearing I only intend to illustrate the likelihood that I can probably maintain a more advanced species of mantis if I could maintain 50+ hatchlings at a time when I was in middle school.

That being said the heaviest factor for me in trying to select a first mantis has been aesthetics and availability.

The mantis species I find most appealing are Idolomantis Diabolica, the violin mantis, the ghost mantis, and the orchid mantis. With that in mind what other species should I take a look at?

I live in the U.S. I understand that laws are in place in order to keep negligent would be exotic pet owners from disrupting domestic ecosystems. I'm not a negligent anything. I won't get tired of my mantis and set it free. I have no regard for these laws and my only consideration for them comes in the form of how I can get around them in order to acquire the animal I would most like to care for.

I like the idea of a mantis that has fairly aggressive eating habits but more importantly I'm looking for a variety that is fairly easy to handle outside of its enclosure (if I could take it for a walk [barring run-ins with potential prey] that would be great). I imagine that there is a tradeoff between how easy a mantis is to handle and how aggressive it eats. I care more about it being easy to handle so I can show it to kids when I do demonstrations at area schools. For this reason I think I would prefer a larger mantis.

If I had to assign weights to the attributes I care about in choosing a mantis they would be as follows:

Aesthetics - 30%

Ease in Maintaning - 20%

Ease in Handling - 20%

2"+ in length - 10%

Aggressive Eating Habits - 10%

Overall Cost - 10%

I look forward to hearing what you guys think! I welcome any suggestions or advice you may have.

Thanks!

I have a bunch of free L2 chinese nymphs. They make a great beginner species. Are you in the US?

Hi Bravado and welcome to the forum.
smile.gif

I would highly recommend Phyllocrania paradoxa (Ghost mantis). They are an interesting medium sized species well suited for beginners (as well as experienced keepers), handle easily, and are not prohibitavely expensive.

Please note: Per forum rules, you are supposed to introduce yourself in the "Other" - Introductions forum before posting in the classifieds section. Much of your post here could be copy/pasted in a new thread by you there, as you have given us introduction type material here.
wink.gif

Hey I wouldn't mind taking a mantis off your hands if it will help you out!
Hi, Bravado! Ismart is one among a small number of generous breeders who occasionally give nymphs away. However, the donor is doing the recipient a favor, not the other way around, which means that you would be expected to pay for shipping! :D

Anything free is going to give you your 10% on cost, but the ghost mantis, P. paradoxa rates higher on aesthetic appeal (though that may be open to debate) and is easier to raise and maintain. Ghosts can also be maintained as adults in the 32oz deli cups that most of us use. You will need a larger container for an adult and subadult Chinese mantis.

Let us know what you decide and how yr choice works out!