Looking for flying insects larger than flies...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
I have several large species of mantid that prefer flying prey but it takes an endless supply of BBs to keep them full.

Anyone know a good source of larger flying insects to use as feeders? Like good sized (not giant) moths? Where to buy and what to buy?

i can set out a light and attract moths for u if u can spot shipping :D
Thanks but I'm looking for something I can buy in bulk and pupate on a regular basis.

I know some people here raise moths. That's not my area so I'm turning to the community to fill me in.

What is something that can be bought at a reasonable price that pupates into a decent sized moth or butterfly?

Here's some proven Idea's I've been meaning to try, beats paying all the time plus shipping, should pay for itself pretty quickly.

skim through, pictures are worth a 1000 words.

And of coarse you could keep some and breed them?

http://www.ukmantisf...th-catcher.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Butterflies. buy the host plant and you will have cats and adults all year.

Depending on species. If you want Gulf Frits (Last all year and are fairly large) lemme know

Here's some proven Idea's I've been meaning to try, beats paying all the time plus shipping, should pay for itself pretty quickly.

skim through, pictures are worth a 1000 words.

And of coarse you could keep some and breed them?

http://www.ukmantisf...th-catcher.html
I have a moth trap and we just don't have anything but small moths in my area. It's rare I see anything worth using as a feeder. Plus it's next to impossible to transfer the moths from trap to tank without many escaping. Just not a feasible solution for me.

Butterflies. buy the host plant and you will have cats and adults all year.

Depending on species. If you want Gulf Frits (Last all year and are fairly large) lemme know
Thanks for the suggestion. That could be a long term solution if I had the room to plant specifically to this purpose but I don't.

I need a more immediate solution.

Is there anything I can buy that pupates into a large flying insect?

Thanks for the suggestion. That could be a long term solution if I had the room to plant specifically to this purpose but I don't.

I need a more immediate solution.

Is there anything I can buy that pupates into a large flying insect?
there is a saturniid genus called anisota and they have wingspans of almost 2 inches and the larvae eat oak, they can pupate in small buckets of moist paper towels

Phoenix worms pupate into black soldier flies. Silkworms are good for moths, except they don't fly. I just wiggle them in a pair of forceps and they are nabbed.

Phoenix worms pupate into black soldier flies. Silkworms are good for moths, except they don't fly. I just wiggle them in a pair of forceps and they are nabbed.
Thank you! That's what I needed to hear. I forgot about soldier flies. Do you have a preferred source for either of those?

Deer flies and horse flies (Tabanidae) are anywhere from 2 to 5 times as big as bottle flies and I find my mantids really love them. They're hard to catch though because they're very fast and have a bite that really hurts (I'm also convinced their exoskeleton is made out of some sort of polycarbonate because they're almost impossible to kill with a swat). I'm not sure if there is a trap for these (maybe similar to a mosquito trap?) but that would be awesome.

Dragonflies have a lot of meat on them. I hate to kill them but they're one of the largest plentiful and easy to catch things outside where I am. They do have killer jaws which is a hazard but I find of all the insects flying around dragonflies are particularly weak and easy for the mantis to catch and hold.

Latest posts