Looking to Raise my First Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mason Giordano

Reaction score
I've been interested in praying mantids for a very long time and I recently bought 2 ooths. I've put one in my yard and I'm going to hatch one in captivity. I plan on releasing most of the mantids but keeping 2-3. I'm still very new to caring for a mantis and any tips, help ,and suggestions would be great!  

Welcome! 👋 

Which species are you releasing? Don't forget to factor in your climate when hatching ooths for release. If an ooth hatches too late in the season, releasing them wouldn't give them time to mature and mate. The last thing you want is 30-200 adults (depending on species) to take care of when the seasons change. Been there, done that. 😁

The ooths are Chinese. I’ve been texting with Mason as he was once a neighbor. Happy to see your first post on here! @Synapze I’ve seen Chinese mantids mature in 4 months, I think there is time :) . I’m happy I haven’t had to care for 30-200 adults, that would overwhelm me and make me run out of food in a second!

I'm going through the same thing! I have 100 that hatched a week ago and are at L1 and am totally confused as to how to keep them alive! So overwhelmed

Welcome! 👋 

Which species are you releasing? Don't forget to factor in your climate when hatching ooths for release. If an ooth hatches too late in the season, releasing them wouldn't give them time to mature and mate. The last thing you want is 30-200 adults (depending on species) to take care of when the seasons change. Been there, done that. 😁
That's amazing! How did you manage to get so many to adulthood?

Latest posts