Lost Leg?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbaby

Reaction score
My orchid lost a leg during its molt (L3 now), will it grow back and will it be okay?

It can grow back but it takes more than a couple molts. Your mantis might end up with a smaller than normal leg which should not affect it much.

Sadly, I think the damage was far worst...she's now got 1 less leg...her front limb is deformed, her back right leg is also somewhat deformed...elongaged and pretty much useless for her balance--she can move both limbs but they aren't sitting properly. Any advice? I hand-feed her for the most part anyway so she's receptive to it...I buy worms, cut it in half and let her eat the goo...but she's lost pretty much 90% of her balance on one side. I'm worried that even if she survives she will have difficulty with another molt because of how her limbs are...

In those cases I usually dispose of the mantis.

Great news...I decided to "forget" to put it in the freezer...and I checked it today and saw fresh molt...

The missing leg has grown back...it's definitely MUCH smaller than the other legs...but at least he has one! (actually i'm still not sure if it's a she or a he)...also, all the legs that were disfigured are now back to normal! I had to hand-feed him for a while but now it's L4...I think =P...I lost count of the molt now...! Yay!

mantid.jpg

In those cases I usually dispose of the mantis.
rick..i had 3 legged flower mantis sent to me..it mouted 2 times and now has 4 legs..i dont think u should bin the mantis just cause it lost a leg..

Great news...I decided to "forget" to put it in the freezer...and I checked it today and saw fresh molt...The missing leg has grown back...it's definitely MUCH smaller than the other legs...but at least he has one! (actually i'm still not sure if it's a she or a he)...also, all the legs that were disfigured are now back to normal! I had to hand-feed him for a while but now it's L4...I think =P...I lost count of the molt now...! Yay!
same happened to me..aint it cool..hey great shot..i cant wait to shoot one..im hoping to get one tomorow same age as yours..

Actually, it was more than a lost leg...2 legs were deformed, 1 lost...but now it's OK. However, that's more what Rick was referring to--not about the lost leg.

rick..i had 3 legged flower mantis sent to me..it mouted 2 times and now has 4 legs..i dont think u should bin the mantis just cause it lost a leg..
He's not talking about just the leg, he's talking about the handfeeding part. Rick doesn't usually like handfeeding his mantids or dealing with them if they have several deformities - of course from what I've read from his previous experiences.

He's not talking about just the leg, he's talking about the handfeeding part. Rick doesn't usually like handfeeding his mantids or dealing with them if they have several deformities - of course from what I've read from his previous experiences.
well when u have 100s i can se his point i guees.im not at that point yet so im lucky..when i have 100s it might be different story.

hi this is a bit of the topic slightly but i keeps phasmids and am a member of the phasmid sociaty so i have seen a lot of bad moults and if you think about it the leg will never be the same size as all the others because once it moults every leg grows say 1cm so you will ollways have a smaller leg even if the leg was knocked of at L1 but they get used to it

hi this is a bit of the topic slightly but i keeps phasmids and am a member of the phasmid sociaty so i have seen a lot of bad moults and if you think about it the leg will never be the same size as all the others because once it moults every leg grows say 1cm so you will ollways have a smaller leg even if the leg was knocked of at L1 but they get used to it
very true..i have flowermantis that lost its legg at sub adult..when it shead it had a hole leg but its a bit shorter than the rest..i was amazed!

Latest posts