Making my own insect jellies???

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol ugh your kitchen is going to smell delicious!... I guess you could try. haha Do you have a food processor?

Last edited by a moderator:
try it and tell us the results. i want to know what happens!

Sounds like a pretty god idea to me. But will the jello have the same amount of water for the feeders as the store bought jellies? Look forward to hearing about your results.

That's a good question. Maybe you could check the ingredients list on the pre-packaged ones. Who knows if there's gelatin in them. I don't think water crystals do.

Or you could just use..........water. I place a shallow dish with a soaked sponge for feeders.

Ok, it works!! I took the mixcheif stuff by jello, the stuff u add juice to, but instead of juice i used plain old water

And I got insect jellies!!! I wonder if my roaches will like it! It saves me a ton of money, insect jellies at a pet store can be up to $12 per container, the jello mix was only a buck at a grocery store!!! Now I'm wondering if I should store if in the fridge or my room

The instructions say fridge, so I should follow that for now I guess

It might just go runny if used in a heated enclosure.

Also, why not just use the juice? It could also be healthier for the feeders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol for some reason when I read the header for this topic I pictured you making jello cubes with insects stuck in them for eating...

chunks of what? If you want pieces of stuff throughout, you have to make it in different stages. Make a small amount, let it set in the fridge, put more on top of that, let it set, etc.

Insect jelly, like strawberry but more protein. :p

Interesting choice of action, I am curious though if regularly feeding them the stuff would have ill effects on the mantids... A bottle cap with water seems simpler to me, though would require to be checked and filled more frequently. A trade off I suppose.

Latest posts