Mantid Anatomy

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derryjellybies

Reaction score
Do you guys know of any good resources (online or otherwise) for proper mantid anatomy? On Google I see diagrams that look like they are more aimed for children and do not have the scientific names for all of the body parts. Also, I was looking at Barnes & Noble, but all I could find was field guides. Maybe I need to find an entomology textbook? I was just wondering if you know of any in particular that are useful :)

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
They did help. Thank you again :) I didn't realize the parts of the mantid's foreleg are called femur and tibia. I think I was calling them "raptors" haha.

From Rodriguez and Maldonado 1973

I believe these are from someone here. They were posted at one time years ago. If anyone knows who made them let me know so I can give credit.

There is an interesting paper on mantis internal reproductive anatomy too. Has interesting microscope pictures of internal reproductive structures. If interested I can give you the title.

Hey there,

since you are interested in anatomy, I figured I would share this with you!

40xBFMantisWingK5 by SirNovak, on Flickr

This is a section of hind wing off of a Chinese Mantis, magnified 40x. (Taken by me)
The ribbed tube you see there is some kind of "trachea" (or so I believe)

I can't seem to find anything on it online. I've read some stuff about insects (this particular article was about butterflies) that they have a tracheal system that runs through most of their body, including their wings. In some cases the tracheal system terminates inside the ends of the wings.

Could be used as a measure of extra oxygen exchange, or it could be a way for the insect to "fill up" it's wings with air, not only expanding them outward, but also making them lighter and better for flying.

I just thought I would share cause I was curious about this myself... if you come across anything in your research let me know!

Also I plan on taking alot more microscope pictures of the dried mantids I have, so I'll be sure to send any cool ones your way. ^_^

-SirNovak

Very cool posts. Makes me want to learn more about mantis anatomy.

OCR program + Google Translate = No Problem (almost). No, seriously.

By the way, there are separate papers on mantises' muscular system, antennae, forelegs, wings, male genitalia, sperm ultrastructure and so on. Just ask me if you need something in particular.

Also, Frank Wieland's dissertation was published this year; it includes, as part of his research, the most complete review of the external anatomy to date.

Last edited by a moderator:
...This is a section of hind wing off of a Chinese Mantis, magnified 40x. (Taken by me) The ribbed tube you see there is some kind of "trachea" (or so I believe)

I can't seem to find anything on it online. I've read some stuff about insects (this particular article was about butterflies) that they have a tracheal system that runs through most of their body, including their wings. In some cases the tracheal system terminates inside the ends of the wings.

Could be used as a measure of extra oxygen exchange, or it could be a way for the insect to "fill up" it's wings with air, not only expanding them outward, but also making them lighter and better for flying.

I just thought I would share cause I was curious about this myself... if you come across anything in your research let me know!

Also I plan on taking alot more microscope pictures of the dried mantids I have, so I'll be sure to send any cool ones your way. ^_^

-SirNovak
Nice photo. This probably goes to show that wings are still living tissue to some degree. That's probably why when a mantid is alive, the wings are flexible compared to a really dead mantid when the wings are crisp and vulnerable to breakage.

OCR program + Google Translate = No Problem (almost). No, seriously.

By the way, there are separate papers on mantises' muscular system, antennae, forelegs, wings, male genitalia, sperm ultrastructure and so on. Just ask me if you need something in particular.

Also, Frank Wieland's dissertation was published this year; it includes, as part of his research, the most complete review of the external anatomy to date.
Surprisingly it is available online free of charge. I always forget to keep up with that website.

I apologize for my late response. I have been drowning in midterms!

Rick, thank you for your post! The diagrams and labeled photographs are very informative and helpful. I would indeed be interested in reading the paper you mentioned on the mantis reproductive system if I have not already done so... I have found one titled: "Internal reproductive anatomy of the praying mantid Ciulfina klassi (Mantodea: Liturgusidae).” (http://www.academia.edu/292020/Internal_Reproductive_Anatomy_of_the_Praying_Mantid_Ciulfina_Klassi_Mantodea_Liturgusidae_)

Sir Novak, that is very interesting! What a great idea! I have been wondering what the different tissues of the mantis look like under a microscope. I have read that arthropods’ exoskeleton is composed of a substance called chitin combined with calcium carbonate... I found many Lewis Structures for chitin, but I am curious about what the cellular components of a mantid's body look like.

Dracus, thank you for sharing that file and Wieland’s dissertation!

I initially was drawn to research mantid anatomy after watching my mantids gnaw on crickets and devour them (fairly) quickly with those intimidating mouthparts! I was curious about how their mouths were structured and how they work. If anyone is interested, I have found a good (although brief) article on the subject: http://zsp.com.pk/pdf1/21-27%20(4).pdf

I apologize for my late response. I have been drowning in midterms!

Rick, thank you for your post! The diagrams and labeled photographs are very informative and helpful. I would indeed be interested in reading the paper you mentioned on the mantis reproductive system if I have not already done so... I have found one titled: "Internal reproductive anatomy of the praying mantid Ciulfina klassi (Mantodea: Liturgusidae).” (http://www.academia.edu/292020/Internal_Reproductive_Anatomy_of_the_Praying_Mantid_Ciulfina_Klassi_Mantodea_Liturgusidae_)

Sir Novak, that is very interesting! What a great idea! I have been wondering what the different tissues of the mantis look like under a microscope. I have read that arthropods’ exoskeleton is composed of a substance called chitin combined with calcium carbonate... I found many Lewis Structures for chitin, but I am curious about what the cellular components of a mantid's body look like.

Dracus, thank you for sharing that file and Wieland’s dissertation!

I initially was drawn to research mantid anatomy after watching my mantids gnaw on crickets and devour them (fairly) quickly with those intimidating mouthparts! I was curious about how their mouths were structured and how they work. If anyone is interested, I have found a good (although brief) article on the subject: http://zsp.com.pk/pdf1/21-27%20(4).pdf
That's the one.

From Rodriguez and Maldonado 1973

I believe these are from someone here. They were posted at one time years ago. If anyone knows who made them let me know so I can give credit.

There is an interesting paper on mantis internal reproductive anatomy too. Has interesting microscope pictures of internal reproductive structures. If interested I can give you the title.
Could you guys pin this? It is really helpful.