Mantid eating dirt?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Litleape

Reaction score
I have an L2 popa spurca who had been stalking its prey. It caught the bug and held it for a minute, biting into it. But the bug squirmed away and the mantis picked up a large chunk of dirt and started eating it. Do they normally eat dirt or was he just confused?

He was probably just confused. This is pretty common, I'll have mantises that miss the bug but latch onto fake leaves, moss, or the cheesecloth I'd use for a cover and start munching on that for a while. Sometimes it can take a while before they realize they are not eating what they had intended to eat. I wouldn't be concerned, mantises can be very stupid sometimes.

I have an L2 popa spurca who had been stalking its prey. It caught the bug and held it for a minute, biting into it. But the bug squirmed away and the mantis picked up a large chunk of dirt and started eating it. Do they normally eat dirt or was he just confused?
Just tonight I had one of my mantids go after a moth but grabbed a wood chip and she nibbled on it for about 3 seconds before she realized the moth was still flying around her enclosure. I guess she got her fiber in for the day. :p

Very common. Thought it was still holding the food item.

Just confused? :lol: I have had the same thing happen, only with paper towel. It must have taste like coookie, because she refused to stop! :lol:

It's just ridiculous. They just "NOM NOM NOM" on anything if it's "caught".
laugh.gif
Just last night I had a mantis catch a piece of it's molting instead of the fly it missed. NOM NOM NOM. Makes you love 'em just a little more.
wub.gif

Latest posts