mantid species in Illinois

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdub11122

Reaction score
Does anyone know the mantids that live around northern Illinois? I have been finding a bunch of baby Carolinas and Chinese mantids but I found one that is turning all red and its legs have a band around the joint. If anyone might know anything about it please let me know.

I grew up in central Illiniois and Chinese and Carolina mantids are common. Northern Illinois may possibly have European mantids but I never saw any in the central part of the state.

i lived in northern IL a little less than a year ago now i live on the IL/ IN boarder and my old town i interduced chinese and that is most of what i saw.

i lived in northern IL a little less than a year ago now i live on the IL/ IN boarder and my old town i interduced chinese and that is most of what i saw.
You introduced chinese into the area? I highly doubt they weren't already there. :lol:

Surely you guys in the states can't just release mantids where you like?? Even if they are found in other parts of the country? Sounds like that wasn't the case here though.....just curious,

Alan

no i swear no one ever saw them befor then i let a lot of nymphs go and people started seeing them and they never saw them befor i got the eggs

ellroy said:

Surely you guys in the states can't just release mantids where you like?? Even if they are found in other parts of the country? Sounds like that wasn't the case here though.....just curious,

Alan

we only release native species

I grew up in the late 70's and early 80's in Central Illinios which is only a few hours from northern Illinois. If Chinese were in my area back then they were a few hours north as well. No way did you introduce them to the northern part of the state.

no no no i mean my town not northern IL lol
Northern Il, your town=same thing. You maybe didn't see any but they were around.

Na, I wouldn't have thought you were able to do that either...isn't it against the law over here?
against the law here to do what you cant be on about mantids as we have none so all mantid releaase would be against the law

and we are so small that any animal living anywhere in england could live anywhere else in england

id think to introduce a species of insect/mantis to your area, be it town or whatever, youd have to release a hefty amount of ootheca, and not just in one place, but spread out over the town. itd be pretty hard to do i reckon.

i hatched and realeased nymphs for at least 4 years in a row and i gave some eggs to my grandpa at the other side of the town