mantids at night

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickyp0

Reaction score
I have seen last night when i was about to go to bed that, when the lights are off for 30mins after, the mantids eyes go from a green to a dark black is this there way of closeing there eyes to sleep or is it like us they dilate there eyes at night? I will have a pic of this tonight.

Good question. I've noticed it in other diurnal insects as well. I always figured that was their way of closing their eyes like you mentioned.

Yeah, I have also noticed it. Basically, what it is, is as the light levels drop, they fill the lenses in their eyes with a darker coloured pigment. This pigment is more light sensetive than the lighter pigment, giving them better eyesight when the surrounding lights levels are low.

Cheers,

Ian

Yeah, noticed this myself but never thought about it. really shows up on my orchid mantis since it's "eyes" are white, they go a grey/black colour. I found this to be more common on any kind of flower mantis (one's with the pointy eyes)

Cheers, Cameron.

o.k. here he is
05bf6d0f.jpg
he was not happy lol ( woke him up lol)

I'm not sure what Christian and Summerland had to say about it, but I've definitely noticed mantises to be less alert and aware of nearby motion when their eyes are dark at night...sometimes to the point of being virtually non-responsive. This had led me to think they are asleep, or at least resting more "deeply" than when their eyes are lighter. I've also noticed a few ocasions when I left the lights on all night (they are normally on timers) and the mantises eyes became dark around the time the lights would normally go off...

The black eye spot "disease" is a different situation than the black eyes at night. It is normal for mantids eyes to darken at night.

ya obie when i took the pic of that male creo he was not responding at all even when i touched him, and its not just the flower mantids that do this, my phillipeen's eyes change color as well. the only ones that i have that do not is the ghosts there eyes stay the same.

I LOVE it when they "put on their sunglasses" :)

I wonder what happens when ya turn on the lights? Is it "blinding"?

Hi.

At night, most species darken their eyes due to a translocation of eye pigments. This helps them seeing and preying at lower light intensities. I did not notice them to be less receptive. However, this is a process regulated by the circadian rhytm and happens just in healthy and somewhat hungry mantids. That's why they keep on with it even when lights are on. Maybe in this case they do not see very well (blinded by too high light intensities). I am not sure about this point, though.

Regards,

Christian

Latest posts