Mantis bruise? Sluggish and weak. (Chinese mantis)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyxetera

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm currently very worried about my Chinese Mantis. About a week ago a very small amount of discoloration appeared on his abdomen - directly, perfectly in the center. Two small spots that are brownish red in hue.

I'm thinking that he my have fallen off my desk when I wasn't looking and it's causing issues.

I want to get a picture of his stomach to show you guys, but maybe a little bit later. Flipping him over causes great stress I feel that I should leave him be for now after handling him. Maybe later today

Have you ever seen bruise-like coloring on your mantis before? That isn't black?

Can mantises recover from injuries? (Heal?)

Are there any good resources about taking care of mantises well after their last molt?

Grimaldi is my second mantis. My first (female) mantis passed away at a similar age with similar symptoms sans bruise. I feel we may be doing something wrong.

Here are some other photos, one from a month ago. And one from today.

IMG_1214.JPGIMG_1268.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, likely.

I thought so, but if female she should've layed an ooth a very long time ago. (Boyfriend is convinced that they're male, counted segments / the amount of time without an ooth etc)

Very, very sluggish and her head is hung low currently. She can hardly move.

I saw some eggbound threads on here and people suggested changing her environment, which we did once a week.

Edit - nvm, might ask this question on a different subforum

Definitly female. Anytime you see an adult mantis get that fat you can easily tell its a female even at a distance. Some female mantises for whatever reason can go their whole lives without laying an ootheca.

Mantises do have the ability to recover from certain injures but it depends on what they are. How old is she?

Latest posts