Mantis dissaperance in Sacramento California

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doid11

Reaction score
I remember a few years ago I would run around outside and find European mantids everywhere and Carolina mantids, sometimes the occasional California mantis. But in the fall "breeding season" 2012. I noticed the increase of Carolina mantids, but I only saw two european mantids. As a matter of fact I usually find a lot of Cali mantids too, but I only found like two. I await for later this summer and fall to see if the population has increased or if the mantids have disappeared frOm my area.

Also I'm not really that smart about mantids an they're habitats or they're breeding times so go easy on me guys :)

-Brandon.

That's interesting. The past summer I found the exact opposite. A lot of M. religiosa, only a few S. limbata (no S. carolina nor S. californica) and more (but not as much as M. religiosa) I. oratoria. Granted I guess I wasn't technically in Sac, I was in Davis and Winters.

I think there must be population fluctuations. I have some areas around here where some years there isn't a mantis to be found and other years they're everywhere. Could be due to any number of factors.

...I noticed the increase of Carolina mantids, but I only saw two european mantids. As a matter of fact I usually find a lot of Cali mantids too, but I only found like two. I await for later this summer and fall to see if the population has increased or if the mantids have disappeared frOm my area.

Also I'm not really that smart about mantids an they're habitats or they're breeding times so go easy on me guys :)

-Brandon.
As what Mantidlord said, there are no Carolina mantids (at least I hope there isn't) in Sacramento. When ever I visit Sacramento, I've only found S. limbata. If you meant to say that there was in increase in S. limbata, then it would be a very good thing. As an fyi, S. limbata and S. californica are both native to California. The ones that are naturalized/exotic/introduced/or what ever you want to call it, are the mediterranean mantid and European mantid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to mention I also found Litaneutria sp in Davis. But like Ntsees said, Both M. religiosa and I. oratoria are introduced, as such I doubt their populations are decreasing much. Unfortunately I didn't see an S. californica last summer, I didn't know they reached as far north as the Bay Area and Sacramento. Can anyone vouch for them in Nor cal?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what has happened at our house in Oregon the past 5-ish years. A steady decrease in mantis sightings... They used to be everywhere!

Last year might have been different though... I found 5 mantids - 3 males, released them, and 2 gravid females later in the summer. I let all of them live their natural outdoor lives to hopefully ensure a good year of mantids.

...And then I found two oothecas. :D