Mantis Fell After Molt

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windsor

Reaction score
Hello,

Just this morning I went to check on my Asian Mantis since I knew she was going through a molt soon.  I found her on the ground, right side up trying to climb the glass and stuck lying down.  It looked like the molt was all together at the top of the cage but she took about a 5 inch drop onto soft substrate right after completing it.  I took the lid off and let her slowly climb back up to hang.

I hear so many horror stories of mantids dying a couple days after a fall when/after molting.  Plus shes my first mantis and I really dont want to lose her.  It's been about 12 hours since the fall and she is acting normal (just got her wings and was shaking them plus cleaning herself too) but I'm worried I'll check within the next few days and she'll be dead.  Does it seem like it? 

Heres a picture as of when I'm writing this, everythings been cleared out but still a bit dirty, I really didnt want to mess with her much more than I already have.:(

Thanks for reading and any possible help! 😄

20190922_200640.jpg

20190922_200005.jpg

She seems ok. she wont eat for a little bit but don't be too alarmed. You can try feeding her anyway. She seems to be drying ok.

I bet she'll be fine.

Any kinks in her legs or raps? Favouring a limb?

Any distortion to the surfaces of her abdomen?

Do the sternites line up as they should?
Everything you asked about seems good but she doesnt use one of her back legs often.  It usually is hanging down.  She was on the floor again with her legs sprawled out pawing at the glass but a few hours after that she was back on top hanging upside down. 

I'll keep watching her for a few days, thank you for the help. 😄

Latest posts