Mantis fell and won't move.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plants

Reaction score
My Chinese mantis ate a centipede yesterday evening. I opened its container to give it an aphid today and it fell off the side of its container like dead weight. It laid on the floor on it's side for a while, I thought it died somehow. But it just sprung up, is standing but not moving. It moved its head and will stretch out it's arms and retract when disturbed or misted.

Did I interrupt it pre-molt? Is it poisoned from the centipede? Could it be injured from a fall? Should I try to get it upside down or leave it alone? Help ??

View attachment VID_20180703_131902.mp4

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably just scared it. If it is in a normal position, he should be fine.

- MantisGirl13

Last edited by a moderator:
Centipedes are pretty risky food, and I was advised against even having them in the same habitat as my mantis for cleaning purposes. For future reference, it’s generally better not to use predatory or otherwise dangerous animals to feed your mantis. 

As for your mantis’ current state, as others have said, he should be fine, and might just be a little startled. If he was indeed trying to molt when you interrupted him, he should recover and will probably try again in a few days. Chances are, the centipede did not bite your mantis if it’s still alive this long after.

I would suggest letting him relax alone and undisturbed for a couple hours. 

Latest posts