Mantis hasn't molted?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had my spiny mantis nymph since April 7th and I've never seen him molt. He has never refused food either, and I usually give him 3 or 4 wingless fruit flies every other day or every three days. Am I feeding him enough? (the fruit flies are like gnat sized) Am I overfeeding him? He lives in a ventilated deli cup and he's upside down most of the time but very active(he goes in circles around the outer edge sometimes, and I feed him when he does this in case he's hungry.

Ok. It hasn't been long enough to worry yet. Keep doing what you're doing, maybe feed a bit more. 

- MantisGirl13 

But he got it april 7th and its june 5th and it hasnt molted and it isnt even pre sub adult or sub adult which takes a long time to molt! Something is up!

Last edited by a moderator:
But he got it april 7th and its june 5th and it hasnt molted and it isnt even pre sub adult or sub adult which takes a long time to molt! Something is up!
I had 2 of them and one died from unknown causes :(  so its just the one guy left. hes in a warm room, i mist his cup once a day, and hes pretty active! I've gone to feeding him everyday now just in case he wasnt getting enough

Here are two pictures i took today of the little dude in question. He's still very active, and wanted to run around, even throwing his usual fit of being put back in the cup.

20200606_201657.jpg

20200606_201220.jpg

Spinys tend to take a while to molt, so I wouldn't be worried. I once had a female that was still L4 when her siblings molted to adult. It took a while, but she reached sub adult, then sadly died from a bad fly.

- MantisGirl13 

Theres bad flies???? What???? I thought only crickets were bad! Ughhhhhh... Now I have to worry about this too with my mantises.

Theres bad flies???? What???? I thought only crickets were bad! Ughhhhhh... Now I have to worry about this too with my mantises.
Every prey item has a small chance of being bad, carrying bacteria, having eaten something bad, etc. Crickets have the highest chance though.

- MantisGirl13 

Spinys tend to take a while to molt, so I wouldn't be worried. I once had a female that was still L4 when her siblings molted to adult. It took a while, but she reached sub adult, then sadly died from a bad fly.

- MantisGirl13 
Alright, thank you! I'm sorry about your mantis though :(  As long as he's active and eating it sounds like he's gonna be all right, so thank you for the help!

Latest posts