Mantis Hybrids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inkie

Reaction score
Please excuse me if this is a dumb question (I'm new to the hobby), but are there certain species of mantis that can hybridize? Particularly Stagmomantis limbata x Stagmomantis carolina?

And if so, are resulting babies viable and/or fertile?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that creobroter species sometimes hybridize. I've seen cross species mating but I don't know if the offspring were viable.

Mantises do hybridize. Like P. ocellata x P. wahlbergii. Stagmomantis californica and Stagmomantis carolina might hybridize. S. carolina and S. californica looks very similar but I do not know if that means they are more similar genetically. Does the S. californica ever meet with S. carolina? Is the S. carolina western limit the eastern half of Texas and the eastern limit of S. californica some western part of Texas?

http://bugguide.net/node/view/327986#1745817

Also Sphodromantis biocellata hybridizes with Sphodromantis lineola pinguis. Hybrids are unable to produce eggs and have spots on the forearms similar to S biocellata, but many more compared to the pure species.