Mantis ID

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolMantid

Reaction score
I believe she is an adult female carolina mantis, but she has very short wings with a with dot on it. She is unbelievably aggresive, I know she is not chinese, but Ithink she might be european...... What is she, also are there any wild males of what ever this species of mantis or are they all dead. She is about 3 inches long and bright green. What is she?????? :unsure:

I believe she is an adult female carolina mantis, but she has very short wings with a with dot on it. She is unbelievably aggresive, I know she is not chinese, but Ithink she might be european...... What is she, also are there any wild males of what ever this species of mantis or are they all dead. She is about 3 inches long and bright green. What is she?????? :unsure:
Carolinas are from the east and shouldn't be here in California unless it was brought here unintentionally (ooth hitch-hike from crop produce from the east). A black dot on the wings? Search for pictures of Iris oratoria on google and see if that's the species. Unless you provide a picture, it is difficult for us to identify.

Stagmomantis californica? Iris oratoria? Stagmomantis carolina (though idk bout it being in CA!)? Look up all 3.

Limbatas are very much native in california and can be found throughout the western us so its a good chance its one of those!

Are there any wild males still alive? Later today I will try to post an image
It's getting colder and so your chances of finding a male should be less. About one month ago, you'd have a better chance. They are still around (in less numbers), and you'll be lucky if you found one. In my area, the number of males tend to decrease as the cold starts to settle in. So many factors play a part: cold makes them not active, predators feed on them in the morning when they overstay the night on the front porch light (darn those mockingbirds!), plus a few other possible reasons.

I think so. When my female limbatas became adult I would periodically leave them outside on a guava tree. There were several instances I found them mating with males.