Mantis identification.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smaksaw

Reaction score
I have some good pics of a mantis near my work that I'd like to bring home as a pet. It's getting cold here in Colorado and I think I could give her a nice home for the winter but I know almost nothing about her care (and I'm pretty sure she's about to lay eggs). Any thoughts would be very helpful and spending money on her care (cage, food, heat and light) is no problem. I'm not really sure how to put a picture on this site but I have some great pics on my phone that I could text or email. My email is [email protected] again any help would be great. Thank you.

Bret Phillips

Greeley Colorado.

Welcome. Is the mantis large or somewhat small? If it is somewhat small with short wings it is a Stagmomantis species. If a very large mantis it is a Chinese mantis.

Welcome, make her a home with a few twings with a low heat hot glue gun in a container about 3 times her size, u could also glue in a couple silk leaves so she can grab onto while moving around her container, feed her once a day and mist her once a day.

Welcome! nice European mantis!

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpg

The pic above is the mantis I caught today. she is in a well ventilated tupper ware container happily eating a grasshopper. at lunch I went to Pet-Smart and bought the biggest Kritter Keeper they had, 24 live crickets and some fake "dirt" for the flooring. Can anyone tell me anything about "Fluffy"? what kind of mantis she is? how long they typically live in captivity? Does she need special light or heat? Any information will be very helpfull.

She should live a good couple months and will prob give you a few ooths! She needs room temps and mist everyday, give her a nice adult cricket once a day, two if small or she appears to be hungry.

I've been reading posts all day instead of working. There are ooths everywhere outside. I'm not sure if she's been fertilized but I'd really like to raise a few from birth. I read from a few people about putting the ooth in a "deli cup"? Is this what it sounds like? Put it in a cup with mesh over the top? some info on this would be great. Also, is she gonna bite me if I try to pick her up? If so, is it a painful bite? Thanks everyone for the info.

Welcome. :)

She looks like she could be a Tenodera sinensis, (Chinese mantis),

You can try slowly putting your hand in front of, and a few inches above her(without surprising her). If she reaches out for it, she is willing to climb up onto it and probably won't hurt you. You can then let her walk from one hand to another.

If she backs away, pulls her forelegs back, and displays her wings, she doesn't want to be bothered.

If you grab her, she might attack. I don't find it to be very painful, but it may hurt depending on the spot they get and sometimes breaks the skin.

You can use the search box to find many posts with answers to your questions about hatching oothecae, enclosures, and biting. :)

Welcome. :)

She looks like she could be a Tenodera sinensis, (Chinese mantis),

You can try slowly putting your hand in front of, and a few inches above her(without surprising her). If she reaches out for it, she is willing to climb up onto it and probably won't hurt you. You can then let her walk from one hand to another.

If she backs away, pulls her forelegs back, and displays her wings, she doesn't want to be bothered.

If you grab her, she might attack. I don't find it to be very painful, but it may hurt depending on the spot they get and sometimes breaks the skin.

You can use the search box to find many posts with answers to your questions about hatching oothecae, enclosures, and biting. :)
it is a european not chinese mantis ;)

Latest posts