mantis not molting

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DinehCaveman

Reaction score
Hi all, I had a pair of cryptics , male and female, that had not molted from L5 to L6. the female molted to L5 on 7-14 and did not molt again, she passed on 8-26, that's 43 days. She was eating well her abdomen was plump, I found her on her side on the floor of the enclosure. The male molted to L5 on 7-22 and has not molted yet, that's 37 days so far. The rest of my cryptics molted to L6 in 15-21 days and have since molted to L7. Has any one else experienced this? Is there a way to induce molting?

I've only had this happen once. One of my boys went off his food over a week. It was clear he needed to molt but for some reason wasn't able to kick it off. I made sure to keep him well hydrated by offering water directly daily. When it was clear he was getting weaker I did the equivalent of an emergency mantis steam bath. I majorily upped the humidity along with adding some heat for a half hour-to an hour. Since I take really hot showers I stuck him in a net cage in the shower after I get out (Don't try this with glass/plastic). Literally five minutes after I removed his cage from the shower he popped out of his skin and executed a perfect molt.

My female carolina hasn't molted for over two month. i am not sure what is going on.

I found the male dead today, abdomen still plump. I received him on 6-3-13 at L1 he molted to L2 on 6-7-13: L3 on 6-18-13: L4 on 7-1-13:L5 on 7-22-13 expired 8-29-13.

Jeez, that sucks man. I've never heard of anyone having so much trouble with cryptics. In my experience once they make it past L2 they are golden. Sorry to hear all that happened :(

Yeah brother. Two mismolts both males of considerable size. Stumpy not making it, the two that never molted to L6, and three that just dropped dead. I'm down to two pairs at L7.

I had this happen recently to an L5 female Dessicata, I could tell she was ready to molt within a day or two, but never did, just started getting weaker and weaker, until she died within about 5 days. By the way, she was at about 85 degrees, and humidity was around 80% and sprayed once a day, was hanging perfect.

Is anyone here based in Ottawa or Ontario? I am on the lookout for some mantids for a children's wildlife education series. I have been searching around myself, in contact with the universities and insectarium in Mtl but can't seem to catch any luck with this.

We are hoping to do a shoot next week on mantids and really need some live ones for the episode. If anyone in this thread has any in Ontario or knows of anyone that might, please get in touch with me.

Ideally looking for adult mantids of European and Chinese variants. Male/female.

Any help would be so greatly appreciated!

Latest posts