Mantis Nymph

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WumpscutMantid

Reaction score
Hey all, I've had this nymph for about 2 weeks, and I don't know what species it is. Originally, I had ordered a giant Asian mantis, but they shipped me a different one, and they don't know what species she is. Oddly, I was thinking that maybe they did ship me a giant Asian, but I don't know for sure. Here's a pic:

IMG_20111115_134641.jpg

It's probably just the way the photo looks, but it looks kind of translucent like a glass mantis (in which case I'd be super jealous). Probably not though.

From what i'm aware of, there doesn't seem to be any consensus on the exact species the term 'Giant Asian Mantis' denotes... Probably refers to any large specimen of the genus Hierodula, and there's dozens of species/subspecies in there distributed throughout South & Southeast Asia. Their classification seems rather iffy, and the individual species can look very different from each other.

I've had some Hierodula patellifera before, and while they weren't nearly as translucent, their abdomens and upper leg-joints looked virtually identical to yours.

I think it's Likely that (whatever species your nymph is) you got what you bought :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts