Mantis specific feeder question

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roaming

Reaction score
Hi all, 

I want to know if the only reason that flies (or other flying prey) are recommended for species like ghosts is because they have an easier time catching flying prey.  It’s not as if there is some nutritional benefit that other non-flying feeders can’t give them, right? I ask only because hatching flies (BB and house) has proved extremely problematic after going through several orders of failed batches. On the contrary caring for crickets has been so much easier and is a more efficient main diet to upkeep. I’ve read a lot of the topics on crickets from the forum that all have great things to say about crickets as a main diet, but I just wanted to be thorough!  ?

thanks for your time!

As I understand it, the reason for this being recommended to certain mantids comes down to their natural habitat.  For instance, some species such as ghost or spiny flower have the more pointy looking eyes, which assist them in being able to look upwards or above them for prey, which in their natural habitat largely consists of flying insects.  Whereas, other species like the Chinese have plenty of crawling prey to go after, and may hunt closer to the ground. 

I think it just comes down to the idea that they seem to prefer flying insects over crawling since that is what they encounter in the wild.  Shouldn't make any difference nutritionally if you feed them flying/non flying insects, as long as they eat them readily.  As usual variety in diet is the best thing.

I’ve had success with mealworms. You have to cut off a small piece, and hold the gooey side up to the mantid’s Face, and they should  start munching. Overall, I think it has to do with what they can catch. Some species might to know what to do with a cricket, and many mantises probably attack flying animals with more accuracy. But as long as they accept crickets, they’re fine. They eat anything in the wild, which is why, as TheShadyMantid said, it is best to offer variety.

Do the flies really have the room to fly inside mantis enclosures, or are the flies typically caught while walking on the inner surface?  If the flies are walking, you could probably substitute non-flying feeders, provided they're allowed the ability to climb the walls.  Roughing up the inner surfaces of the enclosure (maybe with sandpaper?) would enable crickets and roaches to walk on the walls as well.  Those feeders would then climb up into the 'catch zone'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies!  my ghosts have no problem walking to the bottom to snatch crickets.  The only thing problematic about flies is that the batches i get often don't ever hatch into adults.  This can leave me in a bad spot without food for my dudes.  Crickets on the other hand are really easy to upkeep since I can just grab a bag from the pet store and wait a couple days for them to gut load on good food.  Considering the cost of shipping and the time it takes to ship makes flies quite the hassle IMO.  Once it gets a bit warmer ill probably just catch flies outside to supplement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I agree with the others.  I believe the ones that prefer flying prey are less likely to show interest in crawling prey.  As in, the crickets might just not catch their eye.  But if they do, then feel free to use them.

That is weird that you've had such bad luck with fly pupae.  I've had a bad batch once in a while too but not many and not back to back either.  Usually house flies are the ones that don't go well if anything but blue bottles have been pretty darn reliable, regardless of the time of year that they're being shipped.  Do you use heat or cold packs ever?  I live in Michigan and I use cold packs in summer but I've never used a heat pack in winter and haven't really had an issue.

The hardness of the exoskeleton is an important factor that often goes unmentioned. 

Soft bodied prey that walks, like red runner roaches, are the perfect prey in my experience. The ones that prefer flying prey (Gongylus, Idolomantis, Hypenopus, other Empusidae) will readily grab red runners when hung in front of them.

On the contrary, a hanging dubia roach is often grabbed and quickly dropped. I suspect this is due to the thick exoskeleton. Any time I've used dubia I have to keep flies around, but I can run off red runners all winter long!