Mantis Tracking Device...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantid_mike

Reaction score
I really wish i had one for all my mantids. last night i left my Lobata out on my dining room table to feed her a Dubia. Completely forgot about her and went to sleep. I woke up this morning and she's nowhere in sight. hope my two dogs haven't gotten to her already. :eek:

They seem to like hanging out on ceilings during the night. The sooner the lights go out, the sooner they become active. You might see it on your ceiling for no reason one night, then it'll completely disappear for the next few days. Good luck finding it

I've found a few M.I.A. nymphs on my screen door. Also my girlfriend found one on her pillow last week.

Last edited by a moderator:
@kitkat: I really hope she turns up. I looked all over the ceilings and no sign of her. Remind me never to combine alcohol and mantids lol

@Danny: yes, window next to the dining table was open and I live on the 7th floor in DTLA. So if she fell out the window, there's plenty of homeless people, drunk people, and drug addicts that would step on her. I hope this isn't the case, though.

They are attracted to the light at night.So your mantis followed any light you put on while you where asleep.If you imagine the path your mantis followed,it must be at the end of it....Good luck!

@paradoxica: my gf would freak the heck out if she found a mantis on her pillowcase lmao. She likes my mantids from a distance, but not close up.

Ha, she was pretty cool about it, when she first saw it she was kinda pissed cuz she thought it was a feeder that had gotten loose :)

Just make sure you look where you step! Good luck finding it, he/she shouldn't be too far from his/her home.

I have found a few lost mantids hanging from the undersides of furniture. Check the high and low furniture. Be careful if you have a sofabed, I am always afraid of crushing missing insects when opening it up. They seem to like all the hiding places in the sofa.

I would check all curtains and things high on the walls, if it went out the window I doubt it fell, it would have crawled and could be on the building it self right now. Good luck!

Did you check under the table? I haven't had this species for a while and don't remember any escaping. I find certain species often go to the ceiling as many have said. But check low, too, as likebugs said. I have found some under the table and countertop. I intentionally leave some of my mantises out of their enclosures for days, and many of them don't move very far.

I was cleaning out enclosures the other day and one jumped under my nasty deck!

I could see his little head looking at me from underneath.

I just sat there hold a skewer and eventually he climbed back up it.

Whew!

thanks for all the comments and suggestions, guys. i got a call from my gf saying she found her on our fruit bowl in the kitchen area! just glad she's alive and well. things could have gone much worse so i'll try not to let this happen again lol :clover: :clover: :clover: