Mantis with stuck claw - do i need to hand feed?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugLover

Reaction score
so my chinese mantis nymph has been feeding himself for awhile, but today I noticed his claw seemed stuck closed. do i need to hand feed? he has been feeding himself fine so far. also how should i hand feed? honey always seems to get stuck on their legs.

If it still has one claw, it most likely can hunt smaller feeders on its own. If there is trouble catching the prey, you can just hand it to the mantis and they will take it if there is not another underlying problem. It it possible that honey stuck the claw together?

I never feed enough honey that it drips on their claws. I use the tip of a toothpic with the smallest amount of honey on it, if I do. I doubt that honey will ever replace their natural diet and don't think it is good to feed it to mantids all the time. If a mantis has a problem eating. I always try a plain feeder that is wet with water before doing the honey thing.

If it still has one claw, it most likely can hunt smaller feeders on its own. If there is trouble catching the prey, you can just hand it to the mantis and they will take it if there is not another underlying problem. It it possible that honey stuck the claw together?

I never feed enough honey that it drips on their claws. I use the tip of a toothpic with the smallest amount of honey on it, if I do. I doubt that honey will ever replace their natural diet and don't think it is good to feed it to mantids all the time. If a mantis has a problem eating. I always try a plain feeder that is wet with water before doing the honey thing.
None of my nymphs have had honey yet (most of them just hatched yesterday) so i doubt honey would be the problem. It doesn't look like there's anything wrong with the joint either, It does look like there is something holding it closed at the tip of his "arm" and his "elbow," though.

First see if it can catch prey on its own. If not you will have to hand feed. I have a budwing nymph that feel in the middle of the night after molting and now one of its claws goes straight out to the side. She has not caught any food so she will need to be hand fed. Tonight i am going to have to hand feed all my mantids. Fresh pork steak with bur blanc and a side of creamed corn and asparagus is on the menu tonight. That's for me. The mantids are getting just plain raw lean pork steak. I have given them raw elk when i was in a crunch like now, but out of it at the moment.

ok i'm checking if he can catch his own food right now. I'll tell you guys if he catches anything :)

I am glad that the nymph caught its own prey! With first instar nymphs, hand feeding would be very difficult and any honey can be a disaster. If I have many nymphs, the best thing for me is to wait and see.

I have tried to hand feed first instar nymphs with problems like bent or stuck legs, and it usually, but not always, ends up in heartbreak. It seems that the stress of the hand feeding, or even handling, is enough to kill them.

As I gained a little experience with hatching mantids, I have found it best not to mess with first instar nymphs at all. Usually, I don't even separate them until second instar. I always try to hatch them in very large containers so I don't have to. Some species die easily from stress, like attempting to feed too early, or being crowded.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad that the nymph caught its own prey! With first instar nymphs, hand feeding would be very difficult and any honey can be a disaster. If I have many nymphs, the best thing for me is to wait and see.

I have tried to hand feed first instar nymphs with problems like bent or stuck legs, and it usually, but not always, ends up in heartbreak. It seems that the stress of the hand feeding, or even handling, is enough to kill them.

As I gained a little experience with hatching mantids, I have found it best not to mess with first instar nymphs at all. Usually, I don't even separate them until second instar. I always try to hatch them in very large containers so I don't have to. Some species die easily from stress, like attempting to feed too early, or being crowded.
Yup the only reason this one is separated is i'm keeping an eye on him. the rest are together. the ooth he came from only hatched about 25 and he's the last one i have from that ootheca :)

Latest posts