Mass extinction an hour after birth--> any ideas why?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FieroRumor

Reaction score
A friend of mine had a chinese ooth hatch out yesterday,a bunch of little guys running all over and then, within an hour, they all died! temp was around 75-80, the humidy was ok, and it was ventilated. Any ideas what could have caused this? :(

I have heard, that if they arerican originated, a lot of deaths can be caused from lack of space. I may be worng (and will prob b corrected) but I think that is what can sometimes cause deaths. What size enclosure were they in??

Cheers,

Ian

I have had a lot of them die but not in the same day. It usually takes place over several days.

I have seen this happen before, and in the cases I have seen, there was a problem in the hatching container. Usually it had a slight fungal problem and the air inside was not fresh.

It could be due to any number of things, weakness, heat, cold, inappropriate humidity..

Were these wild caught? It is possible that they had a parasite. While I haven't actually seen this myself, I do a huge amount of reading and have read about this possibility.

Good Luck Next Time,

:cry:

Doubt it was a bad ooth or parasites. I think Leah has the right theory.