Mating Phyllocrania Paradoxa pair

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenjih

Reaction score
I recently bought 2x L2/3 Ghost mantids- they are sexed (1 male and 1 female) and are living seperately for the time being, with the plan being to attempt to mate them in the future.

I've read the information google has to offer, to a certain extent, but there are a few points on which I'm still fuzzy. For instance- am I right in thinking that they'd be better off living apart from one another until they are both mature? Group housing is the aim in the distant future, but will this stop them breeding if I attempt it too early?

Also, I've no way of knowing if the pair in question are related. Obviously inbreeding is less than ideal, are there any immediate concerns in that regard? Assuming that for any theoretical future generations I bring in fresh breeders?

I'm sure these questions have been asked before so I'm sorry to have to try your patience, but thanks in advance!

It is my preferred practice to separate ghosts by sex as they reach the later instars, but I cannot guarantee it wouldn't work otherwise, however this practice has worked well for me. When the pair is mature and ready to mate, introducing them all of the sudden to each other seems to spark the mating instinct in the male, convincing him to act fast in the changed environment where is suddenly a female in view. 

I have not heard of any issues with inbreeding and ghosts. The breeding ghosts i have are most-likely related, and possible hatched from the same ooth, however, they still reproduced successfully, and I did not notice any other issues or complications related to it. Certain species such as orchids do not do well when breed with siblings though.

Hope that helps, and best of luck!

Latest posts